Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have made up my mind, im buying a aquaripure denitrator

It claims to denitrify 25 to 30ppm nitrates per week.

BAM, im there.

keep my protein skimmer running and the denitrifier.

I will let everyone know if this thing really works. Because in a months time, Im going to get two more fish, which makes a grand total of 5 fish in my 90 gal. (after I cycle my aquaripure of course)

That should give me an output of (my feeding schedule is 2 feeds one day, 1 feeding next next day, 4th day is feeding anemone) a estimate of 10 to 15 ppm nitrates a week is what I think I will get with that bio load.
    Right now I get 5 ppm nitrate a week now with 3 fish and one anemone in a 90 gal with same feeding schedule. (of course my tank still has 2 or 3 more weeks to cycle to actually cycle cause its' new, so the 5ppm might drop a bit or stable out)

If this aquaripure works, I should have 0 nitrates after it cycles, forever.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

it will be interesting to see how well it works. how long will it take to have this shipped to the island?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    it will be interesting to see how well it works. how long will it take to have this shipped to the island?
    I was talking to john (creator of the device) last night. He said 7 to 14 days.

Cost me 80 dollars shipping OUCH (well shouldn't complain, that's only 60 CI)

I am buying the large tonight, that is rated for 90 to 180 gallon (incase I want to upgrade my tank next year *shh don't tell meh GF)

I will try to be as scientific with the device as possible. take an ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate reading before I install it.

THen once every 2 days do the same tests. At exactly the same time. And we will see what happens. Continuing to take measurments after the device is cycled and then one week after.

SHould be all we need for proof.

I was looking at the sulpher denitrifyers, but they are rediculous. Not just the starting buying price. But the media everytime you gotta change it is around 100 dollars.

NO darn way.
    I will try johns device first. If it doens't work, then go the sulfer way.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

seems like a waste of money... if you do things right you don't need that kind of stuff, i haven't had nitrates register on my tank in as long as i can remember and i have never bought anything to reduce it... People that have excess nitrates can always have it lowered using other methods

i think you may be putting the cart before the horse. to be honest you haven't even let your tank finish cycling, how do you know you don't have enough de-nitrifying bacteria???? just like that product, you have to wait for the cycle to finish..........

Quote Originally Posted by jxb647 View Post
    seems like a waste of money...
    i just went to their site again and i have to agree, thats a lot of money for something that mother nature will do for free.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    I was looking at the sulpher denitrifyers, but they are rediculous. Not just the starting buying price. But the media everytime you gotta change it is around 100 dollars.

did you ever look into the RDSB i suggested before?? i know you have an empty pail and you have said you have access to as much sand as you want. all you need now is a couple of fittings and a power head. initial set up would be under the $80 shipping cost and maintenance would be $0 as you could replace the sand for free every couple of years. mine has been working good for almost 2 years now. my biolad has shrunk a bit but it had no problem handling a purple tang, 6 reef chromis, pair of false percs, lawnmower blenny, 3 stripe damsel, six line wrasse and a mandarin.

just something to think about..............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I have made up my mind, im buying a aquaripure denitrator-p3090012b.jpg  
    `

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    i think you may be putting the cart before the horse. to be honest you haven't even let your tank finish cycling, how do you know you don't have enough de-nitrifying bacteria???? just like that product, you have to wait for the cycle to finish..........

i just went to their site again and i have to agree, thats a lot of money for something that mother nature will do for free.

did you ever look into the RDSB i suggested before?? i know you have an empty pail and you have said you have access to as much sand as you want. all you need now is a couple of fittings and a power head. initial set up would be under the $80 shipping cost and maintenance would be $0 as you could replace the sand for free every couple of years. mine has been working good for almost 2 years now. my biolad has shrunk a bit but it had no problem handling a purple tang, 6 reef chromis, pair of false percs, lawnmower blenny, 3 stripe damsel, six line wrasse and a mandarin.

just something to think about..............

Don't you have to have aragonite sand?
    Or will any sand do?

If not, I did look into it, and sounds good. I drilled my trickle filter and put a hose on it, to suck up water and deposit water in a sump (fed by gravity). Havne't gotten the sump working yet.
    But it could be used with a DSB. I already have 2 and a half inches of sand in my main tank. (i went with alot of sand this time around)
    But all I would need is a return pump and voila, done. No need to drill my tank.

so I could maybe use some more sand in a DSB bucket I guess.

I dont know.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

could you post some pics on your overflow? I can't picture what you did but it sounds like a flood waiting to happen. could be wrong bit a pic would be awsome. might save you some grief. the remote sandbed thing is a great idea especially for your situation[lack of liverock]

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    could you post some pics on your overflow? I can't picture what you did but it sounds like a flood waiting to happen. could be wrong bit a pic would be awsome. might save you some grief. the remote sandbed thing is a great idea especially for your situation[lack of liverock]
    I haven't put it in action yet. It's a "plan in the making" i dont' want any flooding LOL.

But here is a picture of my trickle filter (but I am not using it as a trickle filter, cause there is no media or plastic bio filter in it.

The water gets sucked up by the pump on the left and deposited to that plastic "sump" on the right until it overflows to the top and back into the tank.

Now imagine putting a bulkhead on it half way up the "sump" on the right, hose fitting. So I can attach a hose to it. (that is what I got on it right now) half way.
    Water gets sucked up, then at it rises high enough in the "sump" to overflow in the tubing instead of the at the TOP like it was designed for, it goes into the bulkhead fitting into the tube, fed by gravity into the bucket below.

That's the way I am planning it. If i dont' buy a maxijet pump instead. I am going to try this DSB. (it's basically what that aquaripure is) it is a denitrifyer. Using the deep sand bed to create anerobic bacteria that eats the nitrates.
    that is next weekends DIY project.

But this way, I will only get flooding as far as the pump will suck the water. I can adjust the tube that intakes the water to about an inch below the surface of the water. Making sure that if everything fails. I only lose an inch of water onto the floor. Which is maybe a gallon or two of water at most. Then the tube is no longer in the water, and cannot suck up any more water. And that breaks the gravity fed water tube to the bucket/sump below.

And if this doens't work, I waste what...60 dollars. Then if it doens't work, i can always go put up the coin for the aquaripure.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Don't you have to have aragonite sand?
    you don't have to but a sugar sized oolite sand is preferred.

oolite sand is generally either aragonite or calcite and will also help buffer your system. it's roundish smooth shape will help prevent any clumping of the sand but for the RDSB to work you need to keep solid waste out of the system anyway ( by pre-filtering or using enough flow to keep them suspended ). so you could even use a silica sand and not have any problems.

sugar sized grains are preferred because they allow for the most surface area but you could use more of a larger grained sand to compensate. basically the smaller the sand the greater the surface area for de-nitification.

I already have 2 and a half inches of sand in my main tank.
    this isn't deep enough for de-nitification, oxygen is still available. you need to go 8" - 12" to produce bacteria that consumes nitrogen rather than oxygen.

a RDSB isn't the answer to 100% nitrate control in a system but it can play a part. used with a skimmer, fuge with macro, water changes, good feeding habits and regular maintenance it is easy to get the upper hand.

But this way, I will only get flooding as far as the pump will suck the water. I can adjust the tube that intakes the water to about an inch below the surface of the water. Making sure that if everything fails. I only lose an inch of water onto the floor. Which is maybe a gallon or two of water at most. Then the tube is no longer in the water, and cannot suck up any more water. And that breaks the gravity fed water tube to the bucket/sump below.
    what happens if the pump in the overflow stops but the pump in the sump keeps pumping water back up to the tank??
    `

My Gallery

Talking

oh oh yeh do NOT use that as an overflow!! it won't work! you can't match pump speeds and when theres a power outage you have issues as soon as the powers restored. those aqua filters take time to prime up and sometimes they don't even do that, so the pump in the sump will overflow your tank fast!
    why didn't you order a drill bit again? they can be bought VIA internet very easily.
    don't be afraid to drill? its easy. I've drilled over 15 holes with a regular hand drill and a spray bottle of water.
    sounds like a song, DRILL DRILL DRILL YOUR TANK, GENTLE DOWN THE ROAD........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast