Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New tank, new Hobby

My Wife and I recently aquired a used 20 Gallon Tank from a friend. We cleaned it out the best we could with no harsh chemicals and rinsed it very well.

We went to our local retailer, purchased the proper salt, a machine to push the water around, a filter and 10lbs of Live Rock (cured)

After making sure the water had the perfect salt levels, we added water conditioner - waited an hour and added the live rock to our tank.
    We also have live sand in our tank.

We noticed that the tank is very cloudy, almost a greenish brown tint to it. It is slowly clearing up but we both fear for the worst. We have no experience in this sort of thing and we are simply going on the directions we were given at the exotic fish store.

Our main goal is to house lots of floor life and maybe 2 or 3 clown fish for our daughter - ANY advice would be greatly appreciated.
    We're about 8 pounds short of the live rock we need but ran short on funds. We plan on getting more on the 15th. Are there any tips for us? Also, the live rock close to the walls (that we can actually see) has a nice 1mm film of whiteness (maybe salt, sand.. dunno) is this normal?

to Aquaria Canada

i would guess the cloudiness and the white on the rock is from the sand, this should settle down in a day or two. now that you have added your rock you need to allow the tank to cycle, which will take a few weeks. you can use this time to read and ask questions, ask lots of questions. there are a lot of good guys here at AC that will try to help make this as easy as we can.

good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no stupid question.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    Welcome and congrats on your new setup !!
    Feel free to ask as many question and read as much as possible.. thats how we learn. with the holidays coming, might be a great idea to get a reef keeping book, check out our review sections, there are a few books posted with their review. for people starting in the hobby, I recommend this one: Natural Reef Aquariums

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12453

great book, marinescape has it usually in stock if not, amazon.ca

cheers!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

You came to the right place! There's afew sponsors on here that can get you the extra liverock for cheaper then what I'm sure you paid. Tell us specifically what you have so far :b16:
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

What I have

10lbs of cured live rock from Big Als In Ottawa
    1 aquaclear power filter 5-20 Gallons
    1 Hydor Koralia turbo water pump 1500L/H 400gph
    1 14lb bag of red Sea Salt
    1 Instant ocean Hydrometer
    1 30lb bag of Carib Sea Sand arganite substrate
    1 large bottle of aquaplus tap water conditioner
    1 saltwater all in one test strip kit
    20Gallon tank
    1 250W MH Light

I will be going to the store tomorrow. Any more suggestions?

liv
    ok here are my suggestions:
    10lbs of LR is a great start, the more the better
    aquaclean power filters are not usefull in saltwater and will cauz trouble shortly.
    it can still be used to run carbon only.. no filter floss.. or will need to be cleaned every few days a week.

your red sea salt, its ok.. but you should get reef crystals or instant ocean. the bigger the container.. the cheaper it usually is, Marinescape has it for 50$ when its on sale. ( for 200Gallon's worth ).

hydrometer are ok, but a refractometer would be much more precise.
    a bunch of sponsors have them here for 30-50$.

Your carib sea sand and aragonite is super stuff ! A+

the tap water conditionner is ok... but over time you might want to invest in an RO/DI filter system.

for testing water, the salifert kits are super...

your 20g is a great size !

a 250g MH is crazy !.. you will need some fans to cool this thing down and you might want to think about drilling that tank.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

BWI
    welcome im looking forward to seeing the pics as the project continues!

Building Quality not Quantity

Pics

Ill start taking pictures as soon as the water clears and I find where I want to put the live rock for good. Right now it looks like a cloud lol

I have to say, after walking into that fish store and seeing the saltwater tanks with the clownfish, shrimps, shells and live rocks I fell in love completely. All I could think of was how much fun it would be to start from scratch on my own.

for now just let it run. i would even keep the light off, just to help prevent an algae bloom. there is going to be more stuff to get but for now just let the tank run, while you decide exactly what you want to keep. it is a lot cheaper to do the research before you buy your equipment, that way you only have to do it once :b2:

once you add the rest of you LR you can start testing your water and cycle the tank. you should take a turkey baster ( preferably a new one, only for the tank ) and gently blow the sand off the LR to prevent any detritus ( waste or gunk ) from gathering there and allowing algae to grow.

as the others pointed out check out our sponsors, they will post deals and new shipments. and don't forget to look though the classifieds also, there are some good deals to be had there too.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

seems like a good start. may i ask where you made your purchases ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast