Thread: Brown Algae

Brown Algae

I've started a new tank, 58 gallon reef. I've started with 10 pound of live rock. Problem is, now that the tank and rock have been situated for about 3 weeks, I have a brown algae bloom. Amm, Nitrite and nitrates all read 0.

Any suggestions?

Likely a diatom outbreak. Common in new tanks and not problematic. It will disappear over time.

BWI
    I would suggest buying more rock because your rock is the key to your filtration and your success. If you have your lights on turn them off. As Nelson said, yea the algea is all in the cycle process and just let it be. U may want to help the bacteria in the cycle process since your nitrate and nitrites are 0 on the 3rd week by tossing is a frozen shrimp in a area where there is good flow. Let it break down and rot. This will boost your bacteria levels and help in the long run with your tanks success. Just give your tank a few more weeks. JMHO

Building Quality not Quantity

10lbs of liverock is not going to cut it. You will continually have problems whenever you add livestock with such a small amount of filtration. You will not be able to adequatly process all the waste by your tankmakes. Save yourself the trouble now and add 50 more lbs of liverock. Leave the lights off and leave the system alone for a good month. (I know that waiting sucks and you want to start throwing things in the tank) This is key to your success in the future.
    Equipment: 150 Gallon glass 60"x24"x24" | 75 Gallon Sump / duplex | 150lbs Indo live rock | MSX200 on order | 3x250w HQI Giesmann 14500K & 2x54w T5HO Aquascience 22K | 2 vortech WWDRO/DI

to Aquaria Canada

as the other have said the diatom bloom is perfectly normal for the age of your tank. this may not be the only bloom you get as the tank cycles and finally settles down.

what are you planning on keeping?

with only 10lbs of LR the tank may have cycled already but as the others have said this isn't really enough to provide filtration for any tank inhabitants. the problem is once you add livestock it becomes a lot harder to add more LR because you can set the tank back and start the cycle all over again. most fish or inverts. will die if the tank cycles again because both ammonia and nitrites are toxic to them.

welcome aboard and make sure to do some reading here on AC and ask lots of questions, lots and lots of questions. it far better to figure everything before you go spending money on equipment or buying livestock that isn't suited for your situation.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

10 pounds was just the start (with Christmas bills, I could only get so much past the significant other, along with the start-up costs). After Christmas (with any luck, with some gift certificates from Marinescape), we'll be adding another ~50 lbs of rock, over time, buying in batches.

Once we have a nice base of rock, we had planned on a pair of clowns, then my wife wants a tang. After that, we are going to do more research before choosing another other live stock.

A new light is in order before we move into corals.

Quote Originally Posted by emahoney View Post
    After Christmas (with any luck, with some gift certificates from Marinescape), we'll be adding another ~50 lbs of rock, over time, buying in batches.
    50 more lbs will definitely help. Just remember your main cycle will continue everytime you add another batch of live rock. So make sure you are very patient, leave the lights off for the majority of the time and don't any any livestock until after all the rock is in. Once all the rock is done then start testing for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Once they rise and fall start adding a clean up crew.

we had planned on a pair of clowns, then my wife wants a tang.
    A pair of clowns will be a perfect addition but a 55g is not really suited to any tangs. They typically should be housed in larger (100+ min) tanks.

Also, Welcome To AquariaCanada!
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

So this is normal, even with cured rock?

So this is normal, even with cured rock?
    not sure what your asking but.....

yes, a diatom bloom is normal for a newly established tank.

and

even if you buy cured rock to add to the tank, there will be some die off from the drive home and handling that will cause a spike. in your situation with only 10lbs, adding 50lbs more will cause a spike. on the other end an established tank with 100lbs would have no problem if you added a piece or two because there is enough bacteria to handle the spike.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery