What to use for Filtration?!

Hey guys,

I just started up a 65 gallon tank, and am currently cycling live rock in it, i'm using a canister filter running just carbon right now, but heard its bad to use canisters, Do I need to have anything filtering my tank, besides a protein skimmer, live rock and live sand?

Also I do not have a sump or fuge, and do not have any room for even the smallest of tanks.

BWI
    well you are really risking the health of your tank with no skimmer and also no filtration. Is there the possibility of having a sump in a remote location? basement or another room and just plumping it back?

Building Quality not Quantity

well, I am planning to get a skimmer, hopefully tomorrow or the next day, but besides a skimmer do I just rely on the live rock to filter?

BWI
    Quote Originally Posted by kokain00 View Post
    well, I am planning to get a skimmer, hopefully tomorrow or the next day, but besides a skimmer do I just rely on the live rock to filter?
    yes for now. What skimmer are you thinking and where are you planning on getting it? please don't say BA.... the sponsors here have great deals on skimmers and also can get you most skimmers also so it might be worth calling the one thats closest to you or asking if they will ship because im sure they will. To save you money and to help you get a quality skimmer you should check out the sponsors sites!

Building Quality not Quantity

............ do I just rely on the live rock to filter?
    as long as you have enough, yes.

definitely tell us which skimmer you are looking at, we can steer you away from the lemons and save you a load of money from having to buy everything twice.

Also I do not have a sump or fuge, and do not have any room for even the smallest of tanks.
    there is always room for another tank :b2: , you'll soon figure that out once you get fully hooked :b10:

i run my sump in the basement, you could put it in the room behind the tank, etc ....... or if space is really tight, you could get or build a HOB ( Hang On Back ) refugium.

the canister can be used to run carbon but you have to keep it clean. detritus ( fish waste / excess food ) will get stuck inside and start to produce nitrates if left unattended.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Hey guys,

I just started up a 65 gallon tank, and am currently cycling live rock in it, i'm using a canister filter running just carbon right now, but heard its bad to use canisters, Do I need to have anything filtering my tank, besides a protein skimmer, live rock and live sand?
    You do not need a canister filter. Your primary source of filtration will be biological filtration from having lots of good quality live rock. Your secondary source of filtration will be a good skimmer which will remove suspended organic waste and the third source should be a seperate refugium with Cheato macro algea in it to remove disolved nutrients.

Having a sump is a wonderful luxury but not a necessity for a 65 gallon tank. I have been running a 55 gallon in my office for over 7 years with no sump. I have a hang-on skimmer and a hang-on refugium and one modded maxi-jet 1200 for circulation.

cool thanks guys, yah i definatly don't have room for an extra tank at all,at first I was thinking of the seaclone 100 cuz of the price, but definatley not getting it after reading about it, I am leaning towards the coralife super skimmer 125, All the money I;m able to spend right now is 200 bucks, and I hear dits a decnet skimmer, any thoughts on the coralife?

To the OP:

If you have not already read this, take a moment and read this article:

http://www.reefcentral.com/modules.p...showpage&pid=1

...... and I hear dits a decnet skimmer, any thoughts on the coralife?
    i have never used one so maybe someone else can chime in. from what i've heard they are a very high maintenance skimmer and don't work the best ( overflows etc.. ).

the skimmer you buy is very important and is probably one of the items that a lot of people end up replacing the most ( and soonest after set up ). spending a little extra $$$ can make a huge difference. realistically you don't need a skimmer while the tank cycles so you can wait a bit and do some more research and save a few more bucks.

are you looking for a hang on skimmer or an in sump?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery