Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the..?

What the..?

My friend noticed something strange in my live rock today..

It had buy eyes, like an alien. Like Jar Jar binks lol. I put the net near it and it came out of its perfectly rounded hole and looked like a zebra striped worm, it was pretty damn aggresive too. It must of came with the rock. Any idea what it could be?

You really need to include a pic.

That will help identify it.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

BWI
    yea lets see this thing! from the sound of it, it's going to be worth seeing!

Building Quality not Quantity

very tough to say with out a pic but my guess is a vermited worm, they are quite evil looking but usually harmless.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

He said it had eyes....still guessing.lol.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

I tried a couple of times to take a good picture of this thing lastnight and today before work but non of the pics came out clear enough to even tell what it is I'm trying to capture.

From what I can tell, and the Googling I did, my guess is its a Mantis Shrimp? I found a picture of one with the same Zebra Striping and weird bug eyes. Ill borrow a friends camera (she's a photographer, with a badass camera) and take some really clear hig res pics for you guys

I'm a little concerned about this thing. Whatever I put in front of the hole, it attacks it - it seems very agressive. And it seems my shrimp know better than to go near it, they avoid it at all costs.

Anyway, thanks for all the help so far. Ill keep posting the more I find out.

Hear any clicking noises? Look something like this? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_shrimp_2.jpg

If you have a Mantis, then you now need to make a decision. Either your tank is going to be entirely devoted to keeping him....because he will kill everything else you put in with him.....or.....get rid of him ASAP and be careful. These things are called "thumb splitters" for good reason. If you can remove the rock he lives in, pour carbonated water into his hole and he should vacate his home pronto. If you do this over a bucket of salt water, you can catch him and then sell/trade him. Some people keep these in species only tanks and I know that AZ had one for sale in his store last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
    Hear any clicking noises? Look something like this? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...s_shrimp_2.jpg

If you have a Mantis, then you now need to make a decision. Either your tank is going to be entirely devoted to keeping him....because he will kill everything else you put in with him.....or.....get rid of him ASAP and be careful. These things are called "thumb splitters" for good reason. If you can remove the rock he lives in, pour carbonated water into his hole and he should vacate his home pronto. If you do this over a bucket of salt water, you can catch him and then sell/trade him. Some people keep these in species only tanks and I know that AZ had one for sale in his store last weekend.
    I've yet to hear the clicking sounds, and it looks SMILIAR to the one in the link above, but Im still not sure.. If I have to make a choice I would take it out for sure. The thing gives me the creeps, and my initial goal is to have some fish, maybe more bottom life..
    Is there an alternative to taking out the rock he lives in from my aquarium? He happens to be living in the biggest rock I have in my tank..
    If I manage to get him out alive, is anyone interested in keeping him??

The standard way to get rid of him is to remove the rock, and then remove him from the rock. Once he is out, you can put the rock back in. Alternatively, you could try and trap or net him.

Quote Originally Posted by steve w. View Post
    He said it had eyes....
    it was early, my eyes were still a little foggy :b15:

that's a cool looking mantis if he is like the pic. he is going to be a bugger to get out, they can really move.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast