Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Newb...

Another Newb...

Hi all! Nice little forum you have here
    I'll start off by saying please bear with the missing o's, my laptop kbd is funky. (Hence the username..doh! )
    I'm 33/f/married/Yukon, Canada. ~waves~
    I currently have a 44 gal fresh water aquarium (6 years and going!) but have ALWAYS wanted a marine tank. I've started my research into salt water aquariums and this place looks like it will be a wealth of knowledge!
    I'm shopping for a 70-120 gal tank from a reputable source that will ship way up here. I'm not in a hurry to get it set up, I want to get the right equip, cycle it properly and make sure I get what I want (not even sure what that is yet) and do it right!
    Anywhooo, I'm sure I will have a million questions, I will try to search the forum before asking.
    My first question is.. Acrylic or glass? How badly does acrylic scratch and how often do glass tanks fail?
    Cheers..
    YukonChick

Hi and Welcome on AC!!! Glad to hear that you are willing to try on the marine side!! I have been in this hobby for not to long, but I have been reading alot and it is a key factor in this hobby!

To anwser your question, I would personally go with glass, because in these days it is pretty uncommon to see and glass tank fail and also thay are WAY cheaper than acrylic!! Also, Acrylic scratches easly. But if you want a special shape and you think it is going to be impossible to make it out of glass you should consider acrylic in the opposing case, stick with glass, cheaper, more solid and harder to scratche!

Keep on asking questions it is the best way to advance in this hobby, oh and also they are way more knowledgable people then me here, but I hope my anwser wasn't to bad :b2:!

Thanks Joker!
    Two reasons I am thinking acrylic. Less expensive to ship, less structural failure. I've read you can get buffing kits to remove any scratches interior or exterior.. anyone had any experience with them?

to Aquaria Canada

i agree with joker,

acrylic tanks are a lot harder to keep clean without scratching and even if you buff out any scratches the buffed area will be notably different looking than the rest of the tank. it is next to impossible to keep coraline algae ( purple / pink / green, good algae ) from growing on the front pane and it is only removable by scraping.

the difference in price of shipping will probably be covered ( if not more than ) by the difference in base price of the tank. ( acrylic tanks are more expensive )

the only advantage i can see to acrylic is that it is clearer than regular glass ( until it gets scratched and buffed ) but you can have the front glass ( or any viewable glass ) made from a low iron glass ( starphire ) which is very clear but more expensive.

i wouldn't worry to much about which would fail more often, if installed properly both are structurally safe, if not installed properly they can both easily fail.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks for the warm welcome! I found a site that actually had prices of acrylic tanks listed. I think I will totally be going glass 5k for only the tank/stand is a little nuts especially when shipping costs to the Yukon are insane..
    Was dreaming tanks all night.. how sad is that..

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    ..... is a little nuts especially when shipping costs to the Yukon are insane..
    are there any aquarium stores in the Yukon??

if not, you're not only going to have to need to get the tank shipped but the LR ( live rock, 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon ), sand, salt and all the little things ( sump, skimmer, heaters, pumps, etc... ) as well. it might be worth a road trip down to BC or Alberta and pick everything up all at once ??

Was dreaming tanks all night.. how sad is that..
    lol, i have 3 tanks on the go right now and can't stop dreaming about the next one............ this isn't a hobby it's a sickness :b7:
    `

My Gallery

There is a LFS, extremely high prices though. The one 'larger' glass tank was 550$ for a 40 gal., no stand. 56$ for 50 gal. IO salt. Substrate wasn't marked, scary.. owner was out of town. Some things bothered me about the store as well and I'm a newb.. like the poor little yellow tang with nowhere to hide, reef tanks did not look healthy..(what does dead coral look like? stone?) some leopard geckos that had no water.. huge iguana with red/raw sores on it's lips.. This could have been related to the fact the owner was out of town though, could also be a concentration camp for poor lil critters too..

There's also a pet store that has some marine supplies but they only have tanks under 25 gal. in stock. didn't check the prices on supplies there. The owner mentioned he could bring in any tank listed on hagen's site but I really didn't see anything on the site to get me all excited probably cause there aren't many pretty pictures. Anything there experienced people would suggest?

Waiting to hear back from a place in Vancouver regarding a tank they have, it's 75 gal. for 499 plus shipping. It also includes:
    48x18x20 Overflow Aquarium
    Mega Flow Overflow Kit
    Glass Top
    Black Pine Stand
    Do you think there is enough surface area? I plan on having a sump around 20 gal..

I am SO freakin addicted already and I don't even have a tank!! Wheeeee!

......could also be a concentration camp for poor lil critters too..
    lets hope not :b1:

..... being away to me is no excuse, he should have hired someone to look after them.

Do you think there is enough surface area?
    i'm not sure what you mean by enough surface area?? i have seen loads of different size tanks from 8G up 1000's of G's i guess the surface area is relative to the size of the tank.

wow, it is going to be expensive setting up and maintaining a large tank up there. $56 for a 50G bag is crazy, one of our sponsors has the 200G box of IO on for $40 right now. just out of curiosity, how much do you pay per KWh?? ( electricity )
    `

My Gallery

It is my understanding that surface area (the size of the opening at the top of the tank) is important. In otherwords, a long tank is better than a tall tank??
    The tank I am looking at is 75 gal. and the dimensions are 48x18x20.

Hagen has a 130 US gal. (72.125" x 19.25" x 24.1875") which I would rather have as it it bigger but no stand. I am fairly handy with tools/lumber (being a tough Canadaian chick and all ) and am wondering how hard it really would be to build a stand? Worried about the strength or it was well as it being planar... also if I don't get a hood for my aquarium, I will probably be looking at a built-in type of scenario.

I have started to build my wish list of livestock so I can start purchasing the right supplies/hardware. My plans are to make a list, then ensure a) they are compatible b) I have the proper balance of custodians, LPS, SPS etc etc..

I will have livestock with high light needs so have been looking at a 400 watt, 20000k MH light. My neighbours will think I'm running a grow op.. heh.

We pay 0.11$/KWh.

It is my understanding that surface area (the size of the opening at the top of the tank) is important. In otherwords, a long tank is better than a tall tank?
    ok i see where your coming from ( FW ), surface area for oxygen exchange. in SW tanks we run a protein skimmer and a sump / refugium which will easily oxygenate the water regardless of actual contact area.

My neighbours will think I'm running a grow op.. heh.
    lol, i made sure to bring a few of the neighbours over to show them the tanks, just for that reason. not sure about up there but down here everyone is so nosey, i have seen people waiting on the road for me to open the door just to get a peek at the source of the blue glow coming from my front door :b16:
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast