Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Few questions..

Few questions..

Sorry for posting all these, I have been researching so much my head is going to pop off. Please help my poor brain
    Do I need to have a skimmer while cycling the tank? I'm thinking not as there isn't much bioload.. If not, at what point would you introduce one? (budgeting here )
    Can I use 'play sand' instead of (or in combination with) live sand if I will have live rock?
    Can I make some fake rock using portland cement in combination with live rock if it is 'leeched' for 6 months or so?
    I realize this will increase the cycle time but I am not in a hurry and would like to save money wherever possible. Not cheap, just thrifty and would like to do it right for less! Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    Do I need to have a skimmer while cycling the tank? I'm thinking not as there isn't much bioload.. If not, at what point would you introduce one?
    no you don't have to have a skimmer to cycle the tank but the sooner the better.

Can I use 'play sand' instead of (or in combination with) live sand if I will have live rock?
    Can I make some fake rock using portland cement in combination with live rock if it is 'leeched' for 6 months or so?
    you can do both, just make sure the sand is safe ( bomix makes a popular one ) and you will still need a good amount of LR, depending on the tank size.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

AquaC EV-120 protein skimmer. Looking at one on EBay and the seller reports it supports tanks 80-350 gallons. Does anyone have experience with these skimmers? Are the seller's stats accurate? I am unable to post URLs so I will plagiarize the seller's site

Recommended Pump

Mag 12/18
    Dolphin DP-1200
    Iwaki 40 RLT
    Little Giant 4 MDQ

Specs

Height: 26"
    Footprint: 6.75" x 10.75"
    Foam Tower: 6"OD
    Tank Size: 80-350 gallons
    JG Fitting: standard
    Bubble Size: .03.05mm
    Water flow-thru rate: 550gph
    Volume of foam produced: 320cu.in.

that rating is way off, the manufacturer states 40G - 150G and they are usually a overrated by the manufacturer, more so with lower end skimmers than these.

for the volume of water you are thinking about, i would go up one or possible two sizes. next to LR the skimmer is the next most important piece of equipment for a reef tank.

PS: i see what happened, those specs are for the EV-240, which that ebay seller also carries.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

All his skimmers are rated for 80-350.. doh!
    I have some debt burning a hole in my credit card and need to shop Retail therapy is awesome

I have a ev-120 using a mag5 for my ~70g system.
    Took about a month to 'break-in'...
    Only skimmer I had, so can't really compare it, but works alright if you keep the neck clean.

I will be looking for a gravity fed re-circulating skimmer for my next tank, as I suspect that kind of design will be more efficient (less hydro).

Do I need to have a skimmer while cycling the tank? I'm thinking not as there isn't much bioload.. If not, at what point would you introduce one?
    Yes. Get your skimmer before you start your tank and run it from the very beginning.

Aragonite sand is the best, since it is calcium based and will buffer your system. If unsure, pour some vinegar on it. If it fizzes, then it is aragonite. Silica based sands can be used they just don't have any buffering capabilites. Whatever sand you use, it must be clean and free from impurities.

Yes. Do a search on here for "agrocrete". You will find lots of discussions and recipes.

I realize this will increase the cycle time but I am not in a hurry and would like to save money wherever possible. Not cheap, just thrifty and would like to do it right for less! Cheers...
    Use of the term "cycle" implies the initial amonia spike that new tanks go through. Please do not confuse this with the total maturation process that all new tanks go through. This can go on for well over 6 months. The higher the live rock to dead rock ratio you use, the longer it will take your tank to mature.

Thanks for the reply Zookeeper.
    I am currently shopping for a skimmer after already being set straight on the importance of them Just a matter of which brand, Ford or Chevy.. heh heh
    I have kept a FW tank for almost 6 years now, know all about cycling (I didn't learn the hard way!)
    Thanks for the tip on using vinegar to determine the type of sand.. very cool. I was contemplating using sand, boiling it and stirring the pot with a magnet encrusted spoon.. heh heh but I think I will get get 'live' sand..
    Have you (or anyone else reading this) had any experience with GARF Grunge?

I am currently shopping for a skimmer after already being set straight on the importance of them Just a matter of which brand, Ford or Chevy.. heh heh
    I have kept a FW tank for almost 6 years now, know all about cycling (I didn't learn the hard way!)
    Thanks for the tip on using vinegar to determine the type of sand.. very cool. I was contemplating using sand, boiling it and stirring the pot with a magnet encrusted spoon.. heh heh but I think I will get get 'live' sand..

No need to purchase live sand IMO. Not worth the extra expense. Your sand will be live enough on it's own in good time. GARF Grunge is just live sand and live rock rubble taken from thier existing tanks. Again, not worth the extra expense IMO.

No need to purchase live sand IMO. Not worth the extra expense. Your sand will be live enough on it's own in good time. GARF Grunge is just live sand and live rock rubble taken from thier existing tanks. Again, not worth the extra expense IMO.

This sand you were planning on boiling and stirring with a magnet, where does it come from?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast