Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Earlier I asked "is this live rock" and you guys asked me to take a picture.

Well here is some new stuff i collected today.

when i submerse it in water, it bubbles for a longgggg time. And it's very porous. for some reason you can't see all the micro holes in these pictures cause my camera sucks.

So is this live rock or base rock?

I picked up about 60 pounds of it, and cleaned it and added it to my 90 gal.

closest I could get to good rock. I know it used to be part of the reef, cause it's known as reef rock.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

sure looks like it and is better than none but .........

where did it come from?? is there going to be die off?? how did you go about cleaning it and adding it??

you have to be careful how you add new rock to an inhabited aquarium, it could cycle the tank again killing everything.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    sure looks like it and is better than none but .........

where did it come from?? is there going to be die off?? how did you go about cleaning it and adding it??

you have to be careful how you add new rock to an inhabited aquarium, it could cycle the tank again killing everything.
    It's sun bleached, bleached for YEARS. There is tons of the stuff, sitting in piles. Think "thousands of dollars just sitting in piles, cleared from the beach cause it makes it hard to get into the water from this rock piling up on the shores". So marine conservation collects this type of rocks and piles it far back from the water in giant piles off to the side of the beach. And it sits there for years only to beach in the sun.

They range from all white and dry as heck. to green on some sides (obvious moisture from rain).
    I avoid the moist green rock and just use the all dried white rock.I clean it by dunking it in salt water and with a cloth wipe any dirt away (usually there is nothing on it). Because this rock is so dry it is devoid of any life, and any life in it, was dried to a husk a LONG time ago.

Glad to hear it's "live rock" and not base rock. So I guess all the rock in my tank which I assumed was base rock. Is really the rock you purchase online as "live or cured rock". COOL!

the reason why I thought my rock was not good rock was because it wasn't all purple and look like the established tanks.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

liv
    its definitely not live rock if it was stacked in piles for years to dry in the sun.
    when we say live, its before it has living organisms in it.. ( coraline, pods, bacteria... )
    but sure looks porous.. with time, it will become great live rock.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    the reason why I thought my rock was not good rock was because it wasn't all purple and look like the established tanks.

lol, our LR didn't come purple, or if it did it soon died and turned white during curing. it can take some time for coralline to start to grow, after my last move / tank upgrade it took almost a year before it started to spread again.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    its definitely not live rock ....... with time, it will become great live rock.
    i agree :b2:

if you don't get any spikes ( A,N,N ), i would get rid of some of the conch shells and get some more of this rock, as long as it is totally legal. i think it is as long as it well out of the ocean and it sound like this was, maybe check with the authorities just to prevent any body cavity searches :b10:
    `

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    lol, our LR didn't come purple, or if it did it soon died and turned white during curing. it can take some time for coralline to start to grow, after my last move / tank upgrade it took almost a year before it started to spread again.

i agree :b2:

if you don't get any spikes ( A,N,N ), i would get rid of some of the conch shells and get some more of this rock, as long as it is totally legal. i think it is as long as it well out of the ocean and it sound like this was, maybe check with the authorities just to prevent any body cavity searches :b10:
    If they gotta do cavity searches to find rock on me, prison wasn't very good to me LOL

Ya the rock I collected is ABSOLUTELY legal. I dont' even have to ask. As long as YOU yourself don't take it out of the water. Then it's legal eagle.

anyone wants some rock? I can ship it to any of you if you like. easy as heck to collect.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

anyone wants some rock? I can ship it to any of you if you like. easy as heck to collect.

they might have a problem with you shipping it off the island but you never know, new rock type "Sun Baked Cayman" :b2:
    `

My Gallery

We're going to be in Georgetown in late Feb., could fill a suitcase ship it from TO on the way home as we're going to be there for a couple days. Think customs would notice? :P
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    We're going to be in Georgetown in late Feb., could fill a suitcase ship it from TO on the way home as we're going to be there for a couple days. Think customs would notice? :P
    Let me know what date and I will try to show up at a pre arranged meeting place. I can show you around. Obviously your going to be on a cruise boat?

And, I dont' think customs would care. They let people take old conk shells home. What is the difference between rock that they think is garbage.
    Put the rock in your suit case and they could care less, as long as it's not carry on.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

And, I dont' think customs would care.
    I suggest doing any research first.

Ignorance of the law in no excuse.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast