Calcium reactor (What size?)

Proscraper

Magfloat magnet

CO2? (Need this for calcium reactor?)

Sump/fuge – 20 gal. (DIY)

Skimmer

Foods (to be determined)

Heaters at least 2 (Ebo Jager)
    Lighting T5 & MH (Enough for reef in 24" tall tank?)

Timer for light

Ozonizer? (Do I need?)

Digital thermometer

Reef pkg test kit

Powerheads (3)

Water pump
    RO/DI filter (On it's way)
    Adhesive for LR

Cement drill bit

PVC or fiberglass rods
    UV sterlizer (suggestions?)

Refractometer
    PVC pipes 1.5, elbows etc (what do you use to join them that's safe?)

What am I missing.. I know there must be lots..
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

wow, you've been busy :b2:

tank looks great, you should decide now if your going to use power heads for flow or incorporate a closed loop system, this way you can get all the drilling done.

you don't need an air pump, your skimmer will oxygenate the water.

calcium reactor can wait and yes you need CO2 for that. ( when i say it can wait, it will be two months before you can put anything in the tank so it isn't needed at startup and there are other methods of maintaining Ca and Alk until you have enough of a requirement. )

20G for the sump / fuge is going to be a bit to small, once you get the heaters and skimmer etc... in there.

i like your choice of skimmer :b16: but you could maybe go down to a 180 and save a few bucks and it's 6" shorter. but if you have the room the 250 is an awesome skimmer.

food can wait ( 2 months cycle ) but is very important because loads of fish food contain nitrates and phosphates ( bad ). for dry food i use Ocean Nutrition ( they are a very good brand ) Prime Reef and Omega One Marine Flakes. for frozen food i only use mysis shrimp ( P.E. is really good but probably not available up there. ) and Cyclop-eeze.

ebo jager make great heaters and depending on your basic room temp. i would probably get (2) 200W or 250W. the reason we use multiple heaters is protection against a failure. SW fish / invert / coral don't do well with temperature swings.

i'll have to finish this in an hour or so, my brother just called and he's stuck in a snow bank :b13: this is the problem with having a 4WD truck......
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Stuck in a snowbank? What an amateur.. heh heh Bet you also get lots of requests to help ppl move

Closed loop.. I'll see if I can find pics of closed loop vs power heads look like. Don't want a bunch o crap in the tank taking away from the view.
    I'll be more than 2 months anyway as I still won't know if we're moving until spring (When the real estate agents thaw out )

How about a 20gal sump and a 20gal fuge? I also have to go to the barn and find the tank I used for FW quarantine. I think it's a 15 gal. Little tanks are cheap at Mall Wart anyway..

The 40$ difference in the skimmers is a no-brainer. All the equipment is going to be in the basement so space isn't an issue.

Was going to buy the food once I had decided on what I'm going to put in the tank. Once I get my hardware list completed, I'm going to work on my livestock list.

Yep I knew about the importance of multiple heaters. We even have a 1500w generator in case of power failures. Would the livestock/tank make it an hour in a power outage? It would take us that long to get home from work.

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    Stuck in a snowbank? What an amateur.. heh heh Bet you also get lots of requests to help ppl move
    yep :b8:, pulled him out in no time

Don't want a bunch o crap in the tank taking away from the view.
    using a closed loop will get rid of power heads in the tank. i had planned on using one in my next tank but have been hearing people complain about them.

How about a 20gal sump and a 20gal fuge? ..... Little tanks are cheap at Mall Wart anyway..
    that would be better, if you look at the footprint of the skimmer, it will half fill a 20G. you not only need to have room for the equipment but also for all the water that will flow down if there is a power outage. my sump/fuge is 60G but i only run about 40G in it, when i shut the pumps down another 5G - 10G flows down through the overflow. also, your going to want to have between 600GPH and 900GPH coming into the sump and that can create lots of micro bubbles through a small sump.

The 40$ difference in the skimmers is a no-brainer.
    good to hear because i'm not sure if you know this but the skimmer is very important, in case i haven't mentioned it ..... :011:

Would the livestock/tank make it an hour in a power outage?
    yeah, shouldn't be a problem with a large volume of water like that.
    `

My Gallery

oh yeah, almost forgot......

the lights are a little on the lower end for keeping some of the corals you talked about but they can be kept higher in the tank.

ozinator and UV can come later if at all, i'm not a fan.

power heads will depend on whether or not you use a closed loop.

you should also look at a digital pH probe, it's easier than the test kits.

the regular PVC glue is fine to use, you just have to let if cure for an hour or two before running them.

you forgot the return pump, which you will need to figure out you head pressure to purchase the right one.
    `

My Gallery

I agree with everyone above.
    Calcium reactor is a fancy piece of equipment that can wait until you start having a pile of sps corals that will be sucking back your calcium... I easily keep my calcium levesl over 400ppm just by dripping kalk and using a liquid calcium for now. until I get more sps' going...

The ozone can wait, and the UV sterilizer isn't necessary. Sometimes this can destroy wanted items from entering your tank, but that's a whole other debate on its own.

If you have plenty of room for a fuge and sump, then go as big as you can... You'd want the room for your skimmer, other reactors, etc.... Also, I'd go with 2 x 200 watt ebo jagers... you won't need 250... I have 2x250's, and I know I can do fine with less. I can actually still heat my tank with only one heater.

That particular lighting hood won't be good enough for SPS corals. Unless you have the corals directly under the bulb up near the top of the tank.

And have you thought about drilling your liverock? Have you read about the pegging system for being able to move and easily attach sps corals to where you want?
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Everything except the lighting looks good. Remember money well spent on skimmers and lighting will save you frustration and further investment down the road, which in your case due to where you live could mean substantial savings or expenditures. Since you are capable of making your own stand, nake your own canaopy with a retrofit kit. 2x250 watts and 2-4x t5 and you can keep anything.
    Good luck
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    you forgot the return pump, which you will need to figure out you head pressure to purchase the right one.
    It was in my original post but I forgot to hit enter after water pump and RO/DI :P This is the one I was looking at: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Dolphin-AM-7500-6...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    And have you thought about drilling your liverock? Have you read about the pegging system for being able to move and easily attach sps corals to where you want?
    I had planned on drilling the LR in order to peg with PVC or fiberglass rods. Don't want any rock falling but hadn't heard about a pegging system for SPS's.. I will search for that.

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Everything except the lighting looks good. Remember money well spent on skimmers and lighting will save you frustration and further investment down the road, which in your case due to where you live could mean substantial savings or expenditures. Since you are capable of making your own stand, nake your own canaopy with a retrofit kit. 2x250 watts and 2-4x t5 and you can keep anything.
    Good luck
    Jason
    Thanks Jason, I'm the carpenter, DH (Dear Hubby) is the electrician and plumber Can anyone recommend a good retrofit kit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast