Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

layout for baffles in sump!

Hey guys,

This weekend we're going to be setting up our sump, a quick rundown.....

300GPH Overflow
    Mag 5 return (bout 5 feet of head)
    a 65 gallon display and
    a 30 gallon sump

We plan the sump to have 2 sections.

The first to introduce water into the sump and hold the skimmer, *Than Baffles* and the second will hold the return pump.

What's the best way to arrange the baffles... outer peices elevated and middle on the floor, or outer ones on the floor and inner elevated?

Any pros or cons to either?

i did the middle one high, i don't know if there was any advantage or not.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Leaving as much volume as you can for the pump return section helps dealing with evaporation. The skimmer section only needs to be big egough to fit the skimmer. I also did the middle high.

Quote Originally Posted by flycut View Post
    Leaving as much volume as you can for the pump return section helps dealing with evaporation. The skimmer section only needs to be big egough to fit the skimmer. I also did the middle high.
    i would even try to incorporate a fuge if you can. you can sacrifice area from the return section by incorporating an ATO ( Auto Top Off )
    `

My Gallery

ijo
    I would go middle baffel low... this way the bubbles have to travel down into the first baffle and then again on the last one.... if you have the middle baffle high... the bubbles only have to travel down the middle baffle.

IJO

Thats exactly what our thoughts were IJO but everyone always seems to do the middle baffle higher, jsut trying to figure it out haha

ijo
    I think it has something to do with the direction the water is entering the sump... if there is enough down force towards the baffles... many of the micro bubbles could easily make it under the first baffle... since you have a ton of them in such a small space... some of them will get pushed down the third baffle and into your return section.

If you have the first one down... it really doesn't matter how much force you have as the micro bubbles will have to move upwards before they hit the first baffle and because there is alot of open space... the bubbles have time to pop therefor not making it under the middle baffle.

Hope I didn't confuse you... long story short.. if your first baffle is high... make sure the water/bubbles are not going under the first baffle.

IJO

Sounds like you have something very similar to what I have. Have a look here to see some pictures. http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...69/limit/views
    I also have a 65 display with a 40 sump, so your sump is slightly smaller. I put the center baffle low and as Ivan said, it keeps any bubbles up on top (along with any scum). I also have a bubble tower where the overflow comes into the skimmer area. It is about a 4" x 4" tower that sits about 3/4" off the floor and has holes in it. I filled this with a bit of live rock rubble. My sump also has a fuge section, you can choose to put one in or not. I certainly recommend it as it is a good place to grow Cheato and encourage the pod population. I have not had any troubles with the size or return feed. My pump is a Quiet one that delivers about 300 GPH to the display tank.
    Rick

I'm not sure that I understand the bubble trap suggestion. Melev (who is one the main sump 'people' on RC) always uses a trap where the water flows: over/under/over. That is, the baffles are: low/high/low. See his web site for more details (http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html). If you have first baffle 'high', the water flows out from the return section under the baffle. That makes it hard to maintain a high water level in the return area. Since most people have their skimmer in that area, this is a problem. Also, the O/U/O arrangement gives two baffles over which the water has to 'fall', which will increase the removal of bubbles. Maybe we are using 'high/low' differently. What I am suggesting would look like:

|
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    Nick

the way i looked at it was......

the water entering the sump is creating and full of micro bubbles. the only way to get rid of the bubbles is for them to come in contact with the surface, so the air can escape. also micro bubbles have very low buoyancy or they wouldn't be a problem in the tank anyway, they would just rise to the surface like larger bubbles do.

u-o-u

with the first baffle taking water from down low, the bubbles are as far from the surface as they can be. as the water travels over the middle baffle ( up high ) they are moving fast and have very little time to make contact with the surface. on the down side of the middle baffle they will try to rise up but it is tough with all the flow. then they are introduced in to the return section down low, as far away from the surface again and inline with the return pump.

o-u-o

the bubbles start their journey by rising to the surface before going over the first baffle. the bubbles try to fight the flow down but again it is tough going but also there are less bubble because some have already escaped from when they cam in contact with the surface. they are then introduced in to the return section up high ( also keeping the surface water moving ), close to the surface again and far away from the return pump. for them to get sucked back in the return would require them to be pulled back down, this time with much less flow behind.

i'm not sure if that makes any sense either but its how i look at it :b2:
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast