Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are we ready to add fish???

Hey guys,

Tanks been up and running for 5 weeks....gone through a cycle with the live sand, and again when adding live rock.....so far we've added 8-9 colonies of zoas did not see any spikes at all, and we have 3 astrea snails and 3 blue hermits.....

the snails have been staying along the waterline where the powerheads hit the top (where theres no film)-4 days from adding them

our skimmers hasn't been on the last week though (due to microbubbles) but will be hooked up once we get our sump running this weekend. could this be why the snails are staying on top?

This weekend we want to add prolly 10 hermits, 5-10 snails, and 2 clownfish............Can We???

i wouldn't add any fish until you get your sump set up and the skimmer running again. you wouldn't see a spike from the zoa's but the fish will start one for sure and you'll want the skimmer to be removing as much as it can before then.

if you have the SG sorted you should add more cleaners for sure. let the skimmer and added clean up crew get to work and after a week check your params. if everything is ok i would add a small fish, or if you only want the two clowns get very small ones. if not ......i know its tough but ( and i'm sure you've read this before ) only bad things happen fast in this hobby. a little patience now will pay off in the years of enjoyment you'll get from the tank.

HTH, and post some pics :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ok, we drive an hour each way to get to a good fish store, so we are making a trip out this weekend to pick up cleaners and a return pump, we thought we might be able to pick up the clowns to save a trip next weekend.

after 3 weeks we added 40lbs of cured live rock to our tank, and did not see any spikes at all, is this a good sign that we've built up a good bio filter?
    (not sure if bio filters the word i'm looking for but...ummmm a strong tank perhaps? haha)

No spike when adding more rock just means the rock is well cured. There will always be some kind of spike when you add any livestock that creates waste no matter how stable your tank is (which is why it's so important to go slowly); it's all about balance. That said, after running for 5 weeks I'd say you're definitely ready to add your cleanup crew to the tank.

I agree with a4twenty, you should probably hold off on the clowns a little longer. Add your cleanup crew now and wait until after all your hardware is up and running to introduce your first fish.

If you are looking at a 2 hour round trip to buy livestock, I'd say to buy the clowns on this trip. Having a functional skimmer (or sump) isn't essential in the short term. I, and many others have run small tanks with no skimmer or sump for months and have had no problems. I'm not suggesting this for the long term, just saying that it doesn't cause short term problems. Just keep up with active water changes and monitor the water parameters.
    Nick

And I'd skip the hermit's. They are opportunistic, meaning that they might eat the snails if given the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by megznsteve View Post
    Hey guys,

Tanks been up and running for 5 weeks....gone through a cycle with the live sand, and again when adding live rock.....
    Quote Originally Posted by megznsteve View Post
    ok, we drive an hour each way to get to a good fish store......
    after 3 weeks we added 40lbs of cured live rock to our tank, and did not see any spikes at all, is this a good sign that we've built up a good bio filter?
    this actually worries me a bit, the LR has only been in 2 weeks?. and you drove an hour with the LR and had no spike in the tank? what test kits are you using? and what are the result so far??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    this actually worries me a bit, the LR has only been in 2 weeks?. and you drove an hour with the LR and had no spike in the tank? what test kits are you using? and what are the result so far??
    Why are you worried? Well cured LR can be transported for an hour, wrapped in wet paper, and have no meaningful die off and give no spike after being added to a tank. LR can be shipped 24 hr from stores like J&L and shouldn't give much of a spike if it has been properly cured prior to shipping. Besides, the test kits showed an initial cycle so I can't see how there could be a measurement problem.

Going back to the original question, the tank is a 65G. I can't see why adding two clown fish to a cycled 65G tank with LR and no sensitive corals is going any important alteration in chemical parameters.
    Nick

well we picked up 30 lbs, after a week of cycling with live sand, saw a spike, (that live rock still had 2 weeks to cure) 2 weeks later levels were all 0, went back and picked up 40 more lbs of the same stuff (so now it was cured) and didn't see any spikes, we brought it back in a styrofoam box with some water in it so we don't think much died.

ijo
    Sounds like your ok... has any of the algae stages started yet? You should start with a brown film that will eventually turn green.

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast