Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flow problem!

Angry Flow problem!

Hey guys, we've come to notice a problem.

There seems to be grey waste building up around the rocks, in the corners and crevases etc.

We're wondering how you guys actually get flow everywhere throughout the tank?

Our tank is a 65G, 48x16x20.... We have 2 korilia (600GPH) powerheads, there placement is one on each side of the back wall, pointing towards the center front wall, there is also the return pump (Mag5) which shoots across the tank about 4inches under water.

Whats your recommendations???

BWI
    whats the flow like coming out of the mag 5 1"return is it pretty strong? You could also T the return at the back of the tank so that there are 2 returns at either end of the tank so that theres more flow from each end.

or trade in the Koralia 2's for the 4's?

Building Quality not Quantity

tanks looking good :b2:

you just have to play with the power heads or possibly add more / increase the GPH. i keep mine closer to the front and have them bash against each other in front of the rock, creates great turbulence.

what clean up crew do you have?? maybe add something to stir up the sand a bit.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I just ordered those same powerheads for my lil 20gal They don't stand out too bad! Black background looks really sharp and helps to minimalize the equipment.
    Was thinking blue but now I'm totally doing black!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Thanks guys, cleaners so far are serpant star, 8blue hermits, 2 astrea snails, 3 Nerte snails, cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp.

right now were also getting alot of hair algae, any good cleaner reccommendations for it???

Thanks!

Smile

add another powerhead dead center, also hope you have the return from your mag pump drilled for a syphon? I'd even shorten the distance that the return sits under the water. syphon drill holes can fail as well if an untimely snail were to be sitting there during a power outage.

flow

for ur return can make a spray bar as well(some 1/2" pipe drill some holes and place it along the side) i did that and a power head and the flow is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kokain00 View Post
    right now were also getting alot of hair algae, any good cleaner reccommendations for it???
    i've found the best thing for hair algae is to manually remove it. by adding more flow you will keep things in suspension and prevent nutrient rich spots for the algae to grow. HA is quite common in newly set up tanks, keep an eye on your nitrates and phosphates and try to keep everything moving. i'm sure i've asked before but can't remember.... are you using RO/DI??

your CUC is a little undermanned, try some nassarius or super nassarius snail's or maybe a fighting conch, either of these will help turn the sand bed over and prevent the brown spots. also add a few more snails and or crabs to fortify the guys you already have.

if you're going to keep both snails and crabs, you should provide the hermits with some empty shells to move into as they grow. this helps to stop them from picking on your snails and taking their shells. a lot of people don't like hermits because of this but i think they do a great job of cleaning all sorts of stuff where most snails only go after film algae. i have breeding stomatella snails in my tank so there is always a fresh army of snails and the hermits can't use their shells.

HTH
    `

My Gallery

yup were using RO water, is there anything at all that'll eat the HA off the LR that we can't pull off ourselves. also we have a bunch of leafs, trees, branches whatever they are haha groing out of the live rock like crazy, it looks like they would eventually take over, what are they? how do i get rid of them?

Quote Originally Posted by kokain00 View Post
    yup were using RO water, is there anything at all that'll eat the HA off the LR that we can't pull off ourselves. also we have a bunch of leafs, trees, branches whatever they are haha groing out of the live rock like crazy, it looks like they would eventually take over, what are they? how do i get rid of them?

RO or RO/DI?

can you post a close up pic of the other algae, it's the only way to get a positive ID.

how much do you feed the tank?

there are some critters that may or may not help, most aren't suited to your tank or any tank in some circumstances. finding the source of the excess nutrients may be just as useful. i think the best thing to do is post more pics :b2:

PS: now that you have a sump you can move that heater and thermo down out of sight, just let the heater cool down before you move it. and i hope you read the advice on a siphon break
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast