Talking How did you get into fish keeping

I started by a complicated story so plz bear with me.

I all started with the sea monkeys in the room( the ship wreck tank if memory serves me correctly) Which were dropped on the floor. This then lead to trying to catch minnows in a pond ( yes i did go that low ) the to getting a betta to a fresh water then to the slatwater baby.

Ironicly I feed my fish brine shrimp aka sea monkeys talk about the short end of the stick!:b2:

If you have the time add your story and let the rest of the members kow abit more about you.

BWI
    i'd have to say it all started for me after the winter i kept my baby koi inside in a 55gal. I thought after that i would like a salt water tank, so i asked a few friends if they knew of anyone with a tank and bingo a buddy of mine his dad had a 100gal so i bought it for $50. The rest is history!

Building Quality not Quantity

I drank the kool aid! :b7:
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

as far back as i can remember we always had FW fish tanks, as well as dogs, turtles, birds, hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils, you get the point. i stopped keeping fish when i went to college but my dad kept at least on tank going at home.

a few years after college i was visiting my dad and we decided to make the move to SW. ( or i decided to use his money and he agreed :b16: ) we set up a FOWLR using all the wrong methods ( they were right at the time..... maybe ) and had some success but always battled HA and everything else under the sun. then about 2 - 3 years ago ( after years of maintaining my dads tank in the next town ) we decided to move the tank to my house and take a crack at a reef tank and i have been broke ever since :b10: but i wouldn't even think about getting rid of my two 120G tanks, if anything i think about adding another one, a big one :b7:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I started off with a 10 gallon FW in 1970.

The tank was a present from my older sister, and my parents filled it with fish.

I remember it was bout at a pet shop(Walters) in the Golden Mile plaza in Scarbough.

In 1990 after a snorkeling trip with my wife in Martineek,I came home and bout a 90 gallon SW out of the Buy and Sell.

Rumor has it (started by me)if you go down to my basement,dig though the chetto,you'll find my original toy,a sunken boat with a wheel still there.
    100G Reef
    Purple,Blue,Yellow and Sailfin Tangs.Damsel,Clown and Coral Beauty,Fosters Hawkfish.
    Many mixed corals and clams.
    65G fuge in basement.
    Mag 24 return,RODI,2 Phosban reactors and UV.
    620w in DT.

I started with a 10 gallon fresh water tank back in the early 1970s. At various times I had various numbers of tanks from 5 gallon to 25 gallon with a variety of fresh water fish.

In 1985 my uncle asked me if I would babysit his 90 gallon tank for six months while he and his new wife renovated their co-op. I agreed, rented a van, and drove to Toronto. We started taking the tank down at 8 AM and finished at 5 PM. I drove back to Ottawa and had the tank back up and running in my townhouse by 1 AM. He called me a couple of months later and said it was likely to be a year. The next time I saw him he was saying 2 years and his wife was saying it was never coming back to their place. When my landlord sold my townhouse out from under me I was forced to move the tank into a storage locked from new years day to January 15 and to buy a house. Jaime Baquero farmed my fish, live rocks, and filter media out to various tanks across the city for me then pulled them all back once I got the tank installed in my new house. It's weird, but my blue damsel had grown a yellow tail in the two weeks it was out of my tank. Jaime was at a loss to explain it. The tank lived in that house for eight years then moved to my parent's house in Mallorytown when I sold the house in Ottawa. I didn't care for it very well there and Anita was rather skeptical about it moving to our new (current house.) She agreed, though, and the rest was history. She recently agreed to an upgrade to the 220 gallon we're running right now.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr