Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red plant growing on sand bed???

Hey guys,

we've had this growing off the sandbed for about 1.5-2 weeks now. and we just noticed another growing behind the LR.

Wondering what it is, is its some type of algae or what????

its easily doubled it size within a week, wouldn't be hard to romove but kind of looks cool......what do you guys think???

Best picture we could get, figures we we're trying to get a good one of the fish haha. Red thing in the bottom left.

It looks similar to what I have, some kind of red turf.

Not many things eat the stuff and is very difficult to remove from rock.
    Keep a close watch on it...
    I let mine get out-of-hand and it cost me a zoo frag

really? we saw some macro algae pics that looked jsut like it and supposedly some tangs will eat it???? maybe we'll take it out, we have enough algae problems now haha

i would take it out now and every time you see it. i'm not sure if it is tang food but your tank is a little on the small size for tangs and any type of algae that needs to attach to the substrate with usually turn in to a problem.

don't get frustrated, this is all part of the game. you will be finding new stuff in the tank for years to come, i just found a cold water coral growing in my tank for a minimum of 2 years without me ever seeing it before :b6:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I've got that exact algae growing in my refugium on a piece of rock 6x4 it's never moved off of the rock but completely covers it, makes a great breeding ground for pods and my clown tang and sailfin tang eat it readily. I'd agree and remove it though as it tends to fasten it's self to rocks quite well and everytime you try to remove it small fibres get left behind that it can easily recover from. If you had a refugium you could keep it... and if you don't have one I'd say think about getting one, I can't say enough how much my tank has improved after hooking one up.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

I have a very large adunbance of that in my nano as well. It actually has invaded my Ric and wiped out half the coloney... I really shouldnt have let it get outta hand.

The positive side is that its really good for pod growth and my tangs, idol and flame angel really love to eat the stuff.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

is it really soft and fluffy stuff?

I had it grow on a feather duster, and at first it look pretty cool. but it grew really fast, i had to end up trimming back on the tube to get adrid of it.

tang never touched it... just grew.

We have tons of that red stuff in our 29g. We reduced our feeding, augmented our water changes, trimmed our chaeto. We added a second emerald crab to see if it would go at it. Nope. It started as a small patch and spread to almost every rock and the shell of some of our snails ;-)

I just got a sea hare yesterday to see if it will eat it. I'll keep you posted when I find out if it likes the stuff. Right now it's busy eating other algae
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

It is really fluffy, We ended pulling it off the sanbed probably a month ago and it has not grown back at all. from some of your experiences we're glad we pulled it out when we did, although it did look cool, probably should have just thrown it in the sump.

yes it is fluffy. Here's a bad picture that I just snapped.

I realized that the attachment wasn't of too good a quality. Here's a high-res version
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Red plant growing on sand bed???-fluffy.jpg  
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast