Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's too big!!

It's too big!!

Umm.. OK, ordered a 108 (116) gal., 60" long tank. Got a 130 gal., 72" long tank. We experienced the following 'glitches' today..
    1) A 60" tank would have fit in our Compass, a 72" did not and we had to tie the tailgate down. It was -35.. Tailgate that fishguy and DH tied down was BOUNCING off the end of my tank. Pulled over, tied it differently, no more bounce (roads up here are horrible). Tank won't fit where we planned to put it, thinking on the way home.
    2) Get home and DH (6'1", 245, brick sh*thouse) and I (5'4", something, tough cookie but still a wimp) have to get the tank into the house. There's snow and ice on the ground, get the snowmobile skimmer and take it up to the Jeep. Place the ends of the tank on the front and back of the skimmer, DH pulls and I balance, we pull the skimmer and tank into the house and into the dining room which houses a table set and baseboard heater which will need to be relocated.
    3) WE have decided to stay in our place for a few more years and complete the renos. This means we can set this bad boy up
    4) We now need to assess the basement for jacks, headers, support and plan the stand. I could really, really use some advice..
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

sounds like a tough day but i think you'll come to appreciate the extra length of the tank. ( or at least your fish will :b7: ) to get an idea of what your working with, can you post a pic of the joists from below? or what size are they and on what spacing. is the tank going up against a supporting wall? ( is there a foundation or other structure underneath? )
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

will post pics..

OK, pics are up after recharging the camera.
    Pic #1 I put blues lines to show roughly where the ends of the tank will sit
    Pic #2 The freezer, wiring and servers that need to be relocated
    Pic #3 The wall the tank will be up against. No direct sunlight..
    Pic #4 A different angle of the same wall.

In Pic #1, I was thinking of running a header and installing a pole jack to support the left side of the tank. Our slab is very cracked so I was thinking of placing the jack on a 16x16 concrete footer.
    Pic #2, appx. 2 feet to the left of the freezer is our electrical panel, anything I should do to protect it in case of a tank failure?
    Pic #4, there is a baseboard heater behind the box that will need to be relocated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails It's too big!!-img_0411.jpg   It's too big!!-img_0412.jpg   It's too big!!-img_0413.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMO I think with some blocking inbetween your joists you should be ok. With the beam being right under your tank I think you dont need to worry. Besides a 130g tank wont be all to heavy , say 1500lbs. If you think about it its like 7 man standing in the same square footage as the tank. You probably wouldn't worry about the men falling through the floor. On kinda the same topic, their is more psi on a average TV with a stand(that sits on those little feet/pads) than a water bed. Just spread the load evenly and I think you will be fine. All of this said, if the jacks in the basement aren't interfering with any future basment development then you may aswell do it. Also do you plan on putting your sump/fuge in the basement. I think its the way to go!!

BWI
    im confused.. you ordered a 106 gall and they shipped a 130gal lmao lmao sounds like a AWESOME deal. tanks going to be sweet in the location you selected

Building Quality not Quantity

Yeah I had ordered a 108 gal (actually 116) and got a 130 gal (actually 145). I'd feel a lot better if the tank was running across the joists as opposed along them..
    Also going to be needing lots of plumbing supplies and advise!

with that triple beam there, you should be pretty good but i would still build something for just for piece of mind. if the concrete is really bad you may want to repair it first, doesn't matter how strong you make the supports if the floor gives way :b7:

so what are the new dimensions for the tank??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by ZXZXZ View Post
    All of this said, if the jacks in the basement aren't interfering with any future basment development then you may aswell do it. Also do you plan on putting your sump/fuge in the basement. I think its the way to go!!
    We actually plan on bringing in a structural engineer to deal with the foundatoin, may ask him about jacks while he's there. The area is a utility area so there will not be any future development except for the sump and tank equipment. More holes in the hardwood floor!!

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    with that triple beam there, you should be pretty good but i would still build something for just for piece of mind. if the concrete is really bad you may want to repair it first, doesn't matter how strong you make the supports if the floor gives way :b7:

so what are the new dimensions for the tank??
    We found something scary while clearing out the area and figuring out what needs to go where, repairs will need to be done. Anyone ever seen concrete turn into 'fluff'? Looks like fiberglass crystals mixed with grey dryer lint..? I'll post pics when I get home.

The tank is 72.125" x 19.25" x 24.1875"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast