Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Re-introducing myself!

Just wanted to say hi once again. I'm about 4 months into my first tank, and 47G bowfront. I've learned alot along the way, and still have alot more to learn. I did come here a bit at the start, but ended up spending most of my time on a great US forum. However, I'm missing the Canadian content, especially Ontario people, so I'm back!

The 46 is coming along nicely, I currently have a nice variety of snails, a fire and a cleaner shrimp, emerald crab. My corals at this point consist of Anthelia, a colt, two finger leathers, a few mushrooms, two of which I have no idea where they came from. Also a small ricordea, some really neat coloured GSP, an orange plate, a close brain and a frogspawn.

My fish? Two false percs, a royal gramma, a purple firefish, and a lyretail anthia. I will be finishing with a coral beauty this week, my stats are all at 0, but I really don't know how many fish I can get away with. Everything is doing well, although I am having a minor battle with red slime, and I've got this short green algae, its like bristles and I can't even pull it off the rock. Not much anyways.

back to Aquaria Canada

i think it's only normal for people to come back looking for some Canadian content, it's nice to be able to relate to the topics of discussion and find out about deals from local LFS's rather than somewhere in the US.

regardless of where you've been getting your information, it sure looks like it's been good info. you tank looks great :b2:

if you having a little problem with some algae, i'm sure we we can help. if you give us a little bit of information about your system and feeding habits we should be able to point you in the right direction.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Hiya Melonbob!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

The other site I hang out at is livingreefs. Its a great bunch of people, and not a pile of commercial. I started going there cause I was hanging out at another Canadian site and they were basically telling me if I didn't have 3 grand to get started, I should wait till I did. The costs they were giving me were turning me off to the hobby altogether. I went sumpless, and cut a few costs elsewhere, but I am really happy with my tank at this point, and am learning alot for my next. Thanks for the compliments!

algae

As far as the algae, its pretty localized now, I have two very small areas of cyano, and everytime I suck it up, it comes back a bit smaller. The other stuff that bugs me more is the green stuff. Its only about 1/2" long, bristly, and dead straight. I can't even pluck this stuff with tweezers. you can see it in the background of this pic

Gallery

I set up a gallery, but I have no idea how to direct anyone to it yet, find it and check it out!

Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Lookin good!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonbob View Post
    As far as the algae, its pretty localized now, I have two very small areas of cyano, and everytime I suck it up, it comes back a bit smaller. The other stuff that bugs me more is the green stuff. Its only about 1/2" long, bristly, and dead straight. I can't even pluck this stuff with tweezers. you can see it in the background of this pic
    i assume you're using RODI.

if the cyano is reappearing in the same spot it may be as simple as adjusting your flow a little bit to take away the dead spot. or even adding a bit more flow, by keeping any detritus in suspension you keep it away from the algae.

you could also try a phosphate remover and reduce feedings.

what do you have for a CUC? ( Clean Up Crew ), with it that short there are many things that will eat it.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Cuc

I have around 18 or so snails, mostly Astrea, plus I have a half dozen nasarrius??sp?? hiding in the sand. I have a half dozen hermits or so, one emerald that I only see once in a blue moon and thats about it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast