Thread: cloudy water

cloudy water

I'd love some input on the lastest developement in my tank:
    I've removed all filter media (over a week),now just relying on live rock, my nitrite readings are zero I did a 40% water change, and still three days later the water is very cloudy and has alot of floating "stuff" in it. What should I do?
    I added two clownfish, the nitrate level is up to 30ppm and they have couple tiny white spots on fins and body, (I"m thinking Ich...) will a cleaner wrasse or Goby take care of it?
    All help is appreciated..
    Thanks!

I would start skimming that stuff out of the water ASAP. If you don't have a skimmer maybe you have a water polishing filter. HMMMM a 40% water change so soon after removing all your filter media may have been a little too much for the tank to handle. Things are out of balance now. Check your ammonia level. If the ammonia levels are on the rise you may have triggered a mini re-cycle of the tank. If that is the case you will have to take steps to protect your fish untill things return to a more normal state.

Robert, thanks for the fast reply! I've checked ammo, and it's ok, nitrates still zero, I'm not sure why the water is cloudy though... I also wondering too if the white spots on my p. clowns might be stress related?
    I did the 40% change to dilute nitrate which was up to 40ppm
    I'm still having nitrate trouble, and was hoping the water change & eliminating the filters would correct it. Right now I'm feeling much like a Slinky!
    :frustrate
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

The white spots on your "new" Clowns is likely some sort of parasite. Check it closely to determine what they have so you can do what is necessary to correct their condition. When fish get stressed from purchase, tank re-arrangement etc they may become a little weakened and show signs of disease. the cloudy water could be as simple as a bacterial bloom because you likely dislodged a lot of bacteria into the water when you removed the filter median. As I was saying ...if it were me ... I would start skimming that stuff out of the water. Once the water is cleaner you will be able to get a better look at what is going on with your Clowns.
    Rob

Rob, thanks I've done as you suggested. I appreciate your through answers & thoughtful replies. The water is clearing up nicely, and the clowns even seem to be happier.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

I'm glad that things seem to be turning around there for you. If I were you I would test the water as if you were expecting a cycle to occur. At least until you are sure that all is OK . Crystal clear water can still be poison to your critters if it is full of ammo, nitrite or high levels of nitrate.