Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Algae in Tank!

So we started to notice bubbles attracting to a certain rock that had ridges a couple weeks ago, now we're noticing that the bubbles are actually being covered with some sort of red sheeting.

Theres also strands of the red stuff waving in the flow, at first we were using a baster to blow the bubbles off every other day, but we started wondering if this worked how bubble algae does and spreads spores when bursted.

Anyone know what it is?? how to get rid of it?? and should we be popping these bubbles, heres some pics

Thanks !!!!

Heres a full tank shot, Does the algae look really bad like its taking over, or is this a fairly common look for a 11 week old tank,, Thanks agian!!!

forgot to ask, This red slimey stuff wouldn't be coming from the GSP on the rock would it, like is this how the GSP spreads itself?

Looks like cyano bacteria. Definetly common with a 11 week old tank.It can become a problem. When ever I discover cyano I try to net to off . Adding flow always helps. Keep up on the water changes.

i agree and try to get rid of any phosphates too :b15:

siphon out as much as you can and also pluck out any of that HA when you can.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I had something simliar to that within the first 2 or 3 months of starting my tank. It went away and I've never seen it again.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

ok cool, we'll have to get as much out as we can next water change, I think we're gonna take all the live rock out and scrub it down to in the old water.

We've been alternating the powerheads in different positions every week to try and have direct flow on rocks to try and get rid of the algae, is this ok? will the fish and shrimps' get stressed from this?

Quote Originally Posted by megznsteve View Post
    is this ok? will the fish and shrimps' get stressed from this?
    should be fine, nowhere near as random as the ocean :b2:
    `

My Gallery

You do realize that when you take "live rock" out of the tank to scrub the algae off in cold water it becomes dead rock. All the critters in the rock die which also causes issues with algae. Phosphates are leeching out of the rock causing your algae problem. Might be best to actually "cook" the rock.

well we were planning on filling up a bucket with our old water from a water change, I guess we could throw our extra heater in it to to keep it warm, will this be ok? or will there still be die off, and recycle?

With cooking the rock, its just basically, putting it in a container with flow, heater, skimmer, and letting it sit for acouple months, is this right??? your also supposed to keep the lights off correct?

what does not having light on it actually do??? becasue its basically just he same thing as having it in our tank right now, except theres living things in it

most algae needs light to grow.

as long as you keep the rock submerged in tank water as you scrub it you should be ok, just limit its exposure to air. to be honest, it's not that bad and is expected with a new system, you could also try decreasing your photo period to slow its growth in the tank. is your chateo growing yet?
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast