Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Livestock added.

So my first livestock order arrived the day we left for the Caymans. Left the house sitter with the acclimation procedures and things appeared to go well.

Here's what I got:

Lawnmower Blenny
    Royal Gamma
    12 blue legged hermits
    3 red scarlet hermits
    5 astrea snails
    5 margarita snails
    5 cerith snails

Blenny has not been seen since putting him in the tank. Dead? (Checked around the tank, no shriveled up corpses, looked under the liverock, no sign)

Spike (coral banded shrimp) had to be moved to the little tank as apparently he was trying to eat things. The SG was low (1.020) when I got home but slowly increased it back to 1.025, this tank really needs a good light, it has a crappy incandescent at the moment.

Royal Gamma may have ich. He has two very tiny white spots on one of his fins and I have seen him rub up against the rock once near his hidey hole although not sure if he was trying to get rid of a hermit

Questions are:
    Do blenny's hide really well? Could he be hiding in a holey rock somewhere?

Can I try re-introducing Spike to the tank at some point or will he just revert to his former behaviour? I didn't witness him trying to eat things so not sure if that is what he was really doing..

Can I treat the entire tank for ich or will the medication hurt the other creatures in the tank?

Update on housesitter post:
    The white spots on the rock are coraline algae. White n purple yay! Diatoms are almost non existent, the CUC has done a great job.

More stuff..
    Skimmer is producing some micro bubbles, will take some pics when they go away!

Had to buy a bunch of snails for my freshwater tank as direct light had been hitting the back of the tank (garbage bag fell off..lol High tech, I know!) and the tank was very green..
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

if the blenny didn't make it the body usually doesn't last long in a reef tank, they are good jumpers too.

the only way i can see the SG getting down is if he did a water change using RODI water instead of SW.

if you think it is ICK ( post a pick first ) you could either put him in the hospital tank and medicate or better yet try hyposalinity. inverts and others won't survive either treatment.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Sorry about the tardiness in replying, I've been really sick and stuck in bed since last Tues. (Bronchitis.. yay..)

Blenny..
    Pretty sure he's a goner but he didn't jump so the CUC must have disposed of the corpse.

Low SG..
    I think it may have been due to the salt creep issue I had with this tank, I had an airstone in the tank to provide more water movement but have since removed it as it's not needed.. Spike managed to survive in there for two weeks.. he's one tough lil cookie! I have since put him back in the 20 gal and everyone is getting along just fine.

Ich..
    Can't get a good enough pic, no macro lense and haven't read the bible for the XTi yet.. so I will give you a vivid desc. (close your eyes and imagine.. oh wait, you have to read this :P)
    Started with 3 'grains of salt' on his left fin, I have since witnessed him rubbing along the sand bed.
    One day he had about about 10 'grains of salt' all over his body, today he has none but is still flicking himself along the sand.
    I think I will continue to monitor and put him in the hospital tank if needed. I was going to try hyposalinity (1.020 for 2 weeks right?) before copper as I'm all for natural (and cheaper ) remedies.

i hope you're feeling better :b2:

don't use air stones, especially in such a small tank, they raise the pH of the water. the low salinity wouldn't have been a problem for the fish, they can take it and actually do better with a lower salinity. inverts and corals don't do well with a low salinity, so your lucky spike made it.

to treat ich with hyposalinity you need to drop the salinity to 1.009 ( you can go down fairly quick but you must go slow when bringing it back up ) and maintain it at exactly 1.009 for at least 2 week. this is best done in the hospital tank because inverts can't handle it. the big problem is that the DT has to remain fishless for 8 weeks to make sure all the ick has died.

here a link to a thread where they discuss another treatment for ick that doesn't involve moving everything but some of the stuff may be hard to come by in the GWN.

ich is usually a sign of a weakened immune system or stress on the fish. to help keep ich at bay, i feed high protein food ( PE mysis ) with garlic ( extract ) for a strong immune system. you could also soak their food with selcon to increase the nutritional value of the food.

HTH and post a pic when you get it figured out.
    `

My Gallery

Yeah I figured out the airstone thing. Blonde moment on my part.

Ich doesn't affect hermits, snails or inverts does it? Cause if I had to take the royal gamma out that's all that's left in the tank. Still no spots on him today so I am crossing my fingers..
    He's already getting mysis, I will get some garlic extract and look into selcon.

With good water conditions and a good diet, fish can over come ick on their own. Don't panic yet.

I have my hopes up as he is looking much better..

Quote Originally Posted by ZXZXZ View Post
    With good water conditions and a good diet, fish can over come ick on their own. Don't panic yet.
    i agree, could have been some stress from the move or MIA blenny. with lots of good food and no stress he may be perfectly fine. :b16:

PS: the snails and crabs will be fine in the tank if you have to remove the fish but lets keep our fingers crossed.
    `

My Gallery

Royal gamma is in the hospital tank now, acclimated him using drip and I am slowly lowering the SG.. (over days) Wish him luck. He's hiding out in the rock.. and not very happy :P

there should be no LR ( or sand ) in a hospital tank. it can hold the medication or allow a place for the disease to hold out. I just use a piece or two of PVC pipe for the fish to hide in

in this case it isn't important because your using hypo but just so you know :b7:

also how are you going to maintain water quality ( 0 ammonia, nitrites etc... ) in the Hospital?? water changes or do you have a small filter running?
    `

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast