Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ro/di?

Ro/di?

We are moving to the sticks (Bourget) at the end of the month and are wondering if there is some way to run a ro/di unit through our main water system so we have clean water as well? Possible ? I'll take all the knowledge you've got!

Thanks in advance

It's doable.
    I would run it only for drinking.
    There's no point having a filtered water for showers, and flushing toilets, or watering garden/lawn.
    So, pretty much, I would run it only on kitchen faucet.(and for fish tank)
    You'll have to use a pressurized water tank and maybe a membrane pump behind it.

You'd really want to keep ro/di for aquarium use only. DI shouldn't be used as a drinking source. You can drink RO water tho. You should have your well water tested to find out exactly what is in it. For your main water supply, you may want a water softener (depending on hardness of your water), and/or a high flow UV sterilizer to filter out any bacteria coming through the main line.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Bonaqua View Post
    It's doable.
    I would run it only for drinking.
    There's no point having a filtered water for showers, and flushing toilets, or watering garden/lawn.
    Oops forgot i was implying this...it would just be for drinking...?

[quote=porcupinepuffer; and/or a high flow UV sterilizer to filter out any bacteria coming through the main line.[/quote]

We were also considering doing this...We pretty much want eliminate having to buy water for the tank and water for our selfs. I'm trying to think of a way to combine it.

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthepart View Post
    Oops forgot i was implying this...it would just be for drinking...?

We were also considering doing this...We pretty much want eliminate having to buy water for the tank and water for our selfs. I'm trying to think of a way to combine it.
    I combined it by simply having a Tee off before my DI, this way I have a drinkable source of water at my faucets (just after the RO membrane)... The water that continues past the T goes to my 2 DI stages that are used for the aquarium only. This also allows the DI cartridges/resins to last longer.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    I combined it by simply having a Tee off before my DI, this way I have a drinkable source of water at my faucets (just after the RO membrane)... The water that continues past the T goes to my 2 DI stages that are used for the aquarium only. This also allows the DI cartridges/resins to last longer.
    Any chance you have a diagram of how you split it...this may end up as a DIY kinda project !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thisisthepart View Post
    Any chance you have a diagram of how you split it...this may end up as a DIY kinda project !

Thanks
    Yah, I just cut the plastic line in half (at the RO membrane outlet before the DI inlet). put in a Tee, which I purchased at HOME DEPOT. Not rona, reno depot, or canadian tire... As far as I know, these other places only carry brass fittings, and only home depot has the plastic fittings we want. and they're self sealing by simply pressing the line in. Takes seconds to do... You then run the new line off the Tee (which you need to buy aswell) to wherever you want for your drinking source.

BWI
    we carry everything you will need to do what you want to do! we also carry very nice taps for your kitchen or bathrooms for your drinking water and also you can hook your fridge/ice maker up to the units also! any questions please email/pm me and i will look after you!

Building Quality not Quantity

Thanks Everyone, I think we are going to do what Porcupinepuffer did, sounds like a good plan
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better -Albert Einstein

How long will the membranes last with wells with a high lime or calcium content. My understanding is that ro produces some waste water where does this go and does it produce drinking water on demand or does it fill some sort of reservoir.

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast