Thread: I hate ick

I hate ick

Lost 4 darn fish because of it. My GF decides she wants the new boxfish at the pet store. I give him the once over. See he's "healthy" and so I say..okay.
    Fresh water bath the sucker for 10 min, then in the tank you go.

next day, he's got 3 or 4 salt spots. I am like....oh oh. Well start to medicate right away (I just bought a quarenteen nano cube because of this).
    Next day, he looks like he's rolling around in salt. He dies that night.
    I inspect the rest of my fish, and keep medicating. It looks as if I will only lose one 70 dollar fish (aka boxfish)

Next day, VOILA....henochi has it too, and looks like he's been rolling around in salt, and so does my FAVORITE clown fish and my new lawnmower goby.

I then yell some nice words out loud.(f expletive mostly)

Go to pet store and decide, okay, quarenteen tank. pay 80 dollars for some POWER ick med.
    Seperate fish and yet......next day (today) henochi, clown and goby dead.

If this kills all my fish, I swear to god, I am going to start poking people in the eye at random.

Lessons learned : get a quarenteen tank right away. put new fish in quarenteen tank for first week.
    2. Buy the fish from the fish store guy, but leave the fish there for a week. If the fish has anything, when you come back, you will see it. And you can say, give me my money back.

GRRRRRR. Hope this doens't happen to any of you.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

I feel your pain, am battling ich right now as well but thankfully I only have one fish!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

skip the freshwater dip, it doesn't do anything for ich, ich can survive [as you noticed] the dip as there imbedded in the fishes skin and protected for the most part by there slime coat.
    the dip is actually stressfull especially if your fresh water is not exactly ph'd
    like the saltwater.

only 2 things work, in a QT tank. HYPOSALINITY and CUPRAMINE. only use these once you know you fish have ICH.

your QT tank has to be actually setup for awhile with a filtration system
    thats running [AQUACLEAR FILTER]. but if you medicate or HYPO then take this off. water changes in the QT are imperative.

I wouldn't put any fish in your main tank for 2 months now.

some believe ich can always be present in a tank to a certain degree and when the balance goes out of wack [to many fish] [fighting fish etc..] then
    disease will/can strike. why you put a new BOX fish in a tank infected with ich I'm not sure but ICH has a LONG life cycle.

good advice as usual :b16:

sorry to hear of your losses but as john said, the display must be left without fish for 8 weeks or any fish you put in the tank will contract ich. IMO i would skip the medication and try the hyposalinity for the fish you have now.

for hypo you want to put the fish in a hospital or QT tank and lower the SG to 1.009 and maintain it there ( exactly there ) for a minimum 2 weeks, the slowly start bringing it back up to 1.024 - 1.026. this can't be done in the display tank because inverts and coral cannot take the extremely low salinity. you still will have to wait 8 weeks before they can go back in the display but in that time you should be able to tell if the fish are cured.

this is why we quarantine fish before adding them to the display :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I agree totally. But I have 5 fish left. So it's not feasible to put them all in my nano.
    So I will medicate for 2 months.

thanks for the information john. Owe you a beer. Get your ass down here, so I can buy you one.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

Cryptocaryon irritans (aka marine ich / ick) life cycle is ~7 days as a trophont (the cyst - looks like salt on the fish), free swimming tomont (single cell) ~18 hours.

One tomont divides into 150-200 tomites in 4 to 28 days. The tomites become free swimming theronts and I've read they can only live outside a host for a few hours to a few days.

The meds and hypo salinity are most effective on the free swimmers. The eggs and the parasites in the fish are cyst covered and protected. Some of them actually get too deep into the fish for either method to work there. (The ones basically sitting on the fish tend to get zapped).

Anyway, I'm pointing this out for people that are reading this that might think 2 months is excessive. 6 weeks is a minimum, 8 weeks is safest. Think of it this way: If one parasite survives the treatment, at the next cycle it could become 200 parasites, then 40,000, and then 8,000,000.

That could take as little as 36 days.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'm patient and have no problem waiting 8 weeks to put the gamma back in the main tank.. provided he's 'cured'..
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!