Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

REturn pump failed!

so our overflow was backing up last night, after trying everything it still wouldn't work right. so we turned off the return pump and this morning when plugging it in, it doesn't work, nothing at all. WE took it out, cleaned it, put it back, tried it again and it makign a cracking/gurgling noise. take it out again, the little plastic notch thats on the propeller to catch the shaft turning broke off! PITA. called up and danner is sending us a new one for free, but big als where we bought it won't replace it for free, its $20.

is it ok to let our sump sit and the tank? right now we still have our skimmer going in the one side of the bubble trap for flow, but its really cold water, other side we put a heater in because the cheatos there.(will the cheato make it with no flow?

on a good note, this gives us a perfect time to replace our 3/4" tubing with 1" tubing, we just picked it up and its the IPEX black tubing from canadian tire, is this safe to use. I know they use it for brining well water to houses then through filtration then to the taps.

sorry about the long post lol.

Put at least a powerhead in the sump to keep the water moving to prevent-it to turn into swamp water.
    150 gal, 77 gal refuge, 36 sump, 2 frags tank 10 gal each, Deltec skimmer AP902, Deltec calcium reactor, precision marine kalkwasser, all in reef and fish, Redsea ozone and Giesemann 72" fixture.

this is actually reminding me of a post I made not too long ago about the importance of a replacement return pump and/or backup parts for it.

What kind of pump is this? and how long have you had it? If you were still well within the warranty timeframe, I would have never left the store without a FREE replacement. Which store was this? I have a pretty good guess which one it could be... and who is danner?

And on another issue, why is your overflow backing up? is it undersized? You should definately remedy that issue while you have no pump going.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    ... and who is danner?
    Danner is Magdrive

While IPEX is safe for potable water I would tend to stay away from it. If you can even find a fitting to go from your Mag xx(?) you will still need to have gear clamps at each fitting and even the stainless steel ones will rust, especially in saltwater. You want to look for either pvc or cpvc for your return lines, there are much more options for fittings and a cleaner and safer install. You may need to call a few plumbing supply places to find the proper piping and fittings.

PS. Might be a good time to find some one to drill your tank so you can get rid of the HOB overflow.

it was big als, we didn't go down there jsut called, because were an hour away, they said they didn't cover the propeller assembly only the pump itself. Danner hte manufacturer is sending us one out from NY so it'll be a few days especially now with the weekend coming.

We'd LOVE to get our tank drilled, but don't know how risky it would be with it full even if we empty most of the water and livestock out it could still turn out bad. We don't know if any of the panels are tempered or not (older tank) and would just die if they pane shattered lol.

the HOB overflow will work great for about a week, then it starts backing up (no clue what it could be) our only assumption is that we are using 3/4" tubing and that its to small, thus the reason for wanting to try 1" tubing. theres a broadway gardens near us that have tons of pond fittings, would these work with the rigid tubing?

were jsut trying to avoid going hard piped right now jsut incase something needs a change (ie. the size of our pipe now needs to go bigger(we think haha))

our overflow is a 300GPH CPR. our return pump is a mag 5 (500GPH) with 5 1/2 feet head giving us approx. 220-260GPH when it hits the display tank.

should also mention that we're using the 3/4" pipe for the reutrn also, we never got any instructions with our pump stating we should use 1".

Usely when the tank is tempered, it's only the bottom, I've drill mine and il'ts at least 8 years old, not even a chip, it was a custom made by Miracles, 5/8 thickness, and just lower the level to clear the hole.
    150 gal, 77 gal refuge, 36 sump, 2 frags tank 10 gal each, Deltec skimmer AP902, Deltec calcium reactor, precision marine kalkwasser, all in reef and fish, Redsea ozone and Giesemann 72" fixture.

we'd be so nervous lol, we were at a fish store on the weekend, and a guy was getting them to drill their tank. while looking at fish we all of a sudden hear a huge POP, go to the front look around, glass everywhere, it was terrible. lol

Drilling a partially filled tank is risky. Many people have done so without problems and it is possible, but even if there's only a 1/1000th chance of the pane breaking... What happens if you're "lucky"?

I won't tell you not to do it, just be aware that if it does go wrong it has the potential to go horribly wrong.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugar View Post
    Drilling a partially filled tank is risky. Many people have done so without problems and it is possible, but even if there's only a 1/1000th chance of the pane breaking... What happens if you're "lucky"?

I won't tell you not to do it, just be aware that if it does go wrong it has the potential to go horribly wrong.

Cheers!
    as much as we want to get it done, we're not going to. its to risky and we don't have the money to run out and get a new tank right away. and i'm sure everything won't fit in our 30G sump as a temp. placement.

but when we get a new tank eventually, definatly getting it done!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast