Smile A gift that keeps me from sleeping. But so far, so good.

After being out of the hobby for five years now, this comes to me as a big surprise, letís start from the beginning. My cousin comes to visit me about a month in a half ago and he tells me that he has a little gift in the car for me, and what a surprise that was, the start of a mini reef setup. That night we stayed up till the morning putting up this little 10 gallon setup. He had a 10 gallon tank, aqua clear filter, small protein skimmer, live rocks and sand. Enough to turn me on to the world of Mini Reefs, ever since that morning I could not stop thinking of all the tanks I want to start up and how this tank is coming along
    and so far so good, I still need to buy myself a better light and a few other things but maybe its just fine for now. One of the things I do need is the answer to how to get a good night sleep and stop thinking REEF REEF REEF REEF HQI HQI HQI RO RO RO NANO 6, 12, 24 Gal setups. Boy I need to slow down and just stick to my 10 gallon for now. Please feel free to help me if you notice anything wrong in my setup.

Well, this was the story, but since then my tank has became a bigger boy now, I have made changes and look to improve it day by day like a dad growing up with his child. Here are a few pictures from the day the tank was born till now.

If you think I need to do something a little diffreant please feel free to give me some advice, we all learn new things everyday and learning is I am doing here.

DS:b2:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A gift that keeps me from sleeping. But so far, so good.-1-st-day-3-23-08-13-standard-e-mail-view-medium-web-view.jpg   A gift that keeps me from sleeping. But so far, so good.-picture-075-standard-e-mail-view.jpg   A gift that keeps me from sleeping. But so far, so good.-picture-089-standard-e-mail-view.jpg   A gift that keeps me from sleeping. But so far, so good.-picture-203-standard-e-mail-view.jpg  
    It must be great, to be a fish.:38:

Tank looks good!
    How to fall asleep?
    Hmm.. you could count fish or have a stiff drink.. or have a stiff drink then count fish.. even better
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Take a deep breath. Take a shot of your favorite muscle relaxer.

First off, there is no right answer. There are a large number of possible solutions that work.

Your other little tank will do fine with little more than frequent water changes, but, you need to be sure the water you use for the change is stable. I.e. don't add a tablespoon of salt and add it to tepid tap water, stir and then to the tank. Your change water should be at the right specific gravity (SG), typically 1.02-1.026 (high end for coral, low end for fish only). This should be kept churned by a bubbler or pump and kept at the right temperature or within a degree or so.

This tank is no different. Many would consider this a "nano".

The larger the tank, the larger the error it takes to make it go bad. But, the larger the tank, the larger the corrections need to be (and the costlier the mistakes).

No offense to your DIY skimmer, but, with sufficient water changes, you won't need it.

Part of the answer to what you need or should do comes from what you want to do with the tank. A FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) needs no light (except to see the fish), some current and waterchanges/filtration. A stony reef requires bright light and lots of current as well as pretty clean water. Softy coral will require less current and less light.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by cres View Post

Your other little tank will do fine with little more than frequent water changes, but, you need to be sure the water you use for the change is stable. I.e. don't add a tablespoon of salt and add it to tepid tap water, stir and then to the tank. Your change water should be at the right specific gravity (SG), typically 1.02-1.026 (high end for coral, low end for fish only). This should be kept churned by a bubbler or pump and kept at the right temperature or within a degree or so.

Thanks for the tips.

Well I always have at least six gallons of salt water made in a spare ten gallon tank with a heater and a powerhead moving the water 24/7 so the temp is the same as the water in all my tank. The ro water sits in a room that keeps it around 72 at all time. I am planning to put coral in my ten that is whyI got a 150w HQI pendent.
    It must be great, to be a fish.:38:

Your change water should be fine then.

A 150 W HQI over a 10 gallon will be plenty for any light hungry coral and perhaps too much for some deeper water species. You might end up with a heat issue. You may have to run a fan with the light to keep the tank temperature from spiking, depending on the ambient room temperature and relative humidity as well as the distance from the water surface to the bulb.

The other thing you will notice is that your evaporation will rise. You will need to add more RO to counter the evaporation. If you continue with your large regular water changes, there is a chance your tank's SG will slowly rise if you don't account for evaporation when doing the water change.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Id lose the damsel.IMO. If you get any other fish , it will harass it to death. But besides that, looks good!!!