Thread: QT set-up

QT set-up

I am looking at setting up a 10G QT (in anticipation of getting my first fish in January). Looking for advice about set-up. I plan to add:

50w heater
    air stone
    MJ400
    some pieces of PVC
    50% water from my main tank;
    bare-bottom tank.

Two specific questions:

1) What lighting would you use on a 10G QT? I don't want to make a hood and so would like to use a cheap commercially available light.

2) What provides the biological filter in the system? Most people don't have LR or substrate. Would I need to add something like an aquaclear 100 power filter?

Thanks in advance.
    Nick

ATC
    The tank I use for a qt has a penguin filter on it...same that runs on the refugium for a little circulation. We just switch out the sponges when needed.

You don't really need a light for a qt. Last time the qt was set up we used one of those under cabinet kitchen lights that was laying around. Although since then there are more freaking lights and parts laying around my house....
    Aven

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    When my isolation tank was a QT, I would "charge" the filter cartridges of the emperor filter in the sump of the main tank a week before getting a fish.
    This works quite well.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I use a multi centrifugal pump with filter (p/h with bio-ball attachment) that I use in the main tank and then swap to QT_ It's small and compact, as I don't have a sump.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I know many will be unhappy to hear this ... but ... you can keep you QT going by using black mollies. If they are acclimated over many hours they will last up to a week or so at a time... some times longer. just over a month is the longest luck I have had and they are cheap.
    Sorry again.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Actually, mollies are great algae eaters in a saltwater aquarium.
    There have been many discussions regarding the use of mollies in a saltwater aquarium.
    Their fry even make great LIVE coral / fish food.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!