Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Anenome ripped up in power head...

Hey everyone,

My Anenome bit the dust lastnight in my powerhead and has now basically put my skimmer to work overtime and my tank has become all cloudy.

To be safe, should I do a water change to get rid of anythings in the water. If so what sort of %.

Thanks

Sharkbait
    "Nothing happens unless first we dream."
    Carl Sandburg

65g w/20g sump/refug 2X150MH Plus 2 Antics 80lbs LR
    Common Clown, Purple Fire Goby, Mandarin Fish
    Elibi Angel, 3 Bi-Coloured Chormis
    Acrapora, Varius Polyps, Frog Spawn
    More to come...

I'd do 20% at least and get some carbon running ASAP. After 20% if fish or inverts are looking distressed do another 10.

Thanks.
    What do you mean by get some carbon running?
    Carl Sandburg

More to come...

Angry

your joking right? if not, I really think you should study a bit more with what your trying to
    accomplish and keep!
    CARBON, stuff used to help filter water.
    WATER CHANGES, a must if your tank is crashing from a dead anenome
    ANENOME. will wander when unhappy and will get chewed by powerheads.
    dare I ask what type of anenome and what lighting you have over the tank.

Relax dude. I know what the carbon is. I just don't use any mechanical filtration. I have a sump with a refug and a skimmer. I have two MH 150w and two antics. I have 80lbs of live rock in my 65g. My water quality is good.

I want to know how. And plus the carbon is generally used to remove odor. The crap that comes of the carbon is really bad even for humans.

Beside I don't know if you noticed or not but this was posted in a beginners thread. I had a mishap in my tank which I have never had. A large item not only died in the tank but it got ripped to shreds. So I don’t think there are much books or material out there and believe I have read a lot.

So maybe instead of insulting me you should let me know what it I can do to “get carbon running”

P.S. Thanks Zookeeper for your info.
    Carl Sandburg

More to come...

Oh and it was a bubble tip anemone which split 6 months ago. The two parts are too large for my tank and have be causing some damage to my other stuff. I had a new home for it but the person never showed up to take it and then it lodged itself to well to remove it. I had to re-structure the upper level of my tank over the weekend which made the anemone unhappy and it moved. Some time last night while I was asleep he caught himself in the power head.

So this morning I emptied my skimmer and try to get rid of chucks. (my skimmer was working over time) Now when I get home i want to finish cleaning up, but I want to do it right the first time.

Since by some people’s standards I am not an expert (which I don't claim to be) I don't deserve to have a tank.

If there is someone else out there that can help me out to do this right with out comments it would be great.
    Carl Sandburg

More to come...

run carbon through a phosban reactor and thats not the same as mechanical filtration, it will greatly help. Keep up the water changes as well and get your skimmer to produce more wet skimate... hopefully things will return to normal. But really beef up the water changes and change the carbon every two days or so... at least until things start to look normal again

Thanks! Now this helps me out! I started to make more water this morning and my skimmer for some reason produced a lot of wet skimate last night on it's own. A whole cup full which I never have happen. I will keep it up.

Thanks again!!
    Carl Sandburg

More to come...

this is why its good to post info on your tank and years in with your name,
    because with a post like that how are we supposed to know??
    read your post and you'll see that it does sound very bad.

its basically automatic to do a water change and run carbon when something goes wrong, running carbon does alot more than remove odors, which tells us/me that your fairly new at this.
    I'm not insulting you in anyway? but when you post ''whats running carbon''
    and ''should I do a water change'' and your keeping anenomes, that does get me ''unrelaxed.

you can run carbon many ways, in mesh bags in the sump, phosban reactors
    canisters etc..

I'll give you credit though, you do seem to have a decent setup and in the right direction. word of advice. BTA's tend to move a lot and powerheads are not there friend so you might want to rethink the anenome thing or do alot of research to see if one will fit your needs. they supposedly have no life expectency [immortal] so take that into consideration

I am sorry john rock. I was a bit upset that you assumed what I don't know. I know the BTAs move a lot when disturbed and like I said I added some rock to the tank over the weekend which made me have to disturb him. So he moved.

Generally my tank has been stable. You are right I am new but I ask a lot of questions either here or at a trusted store. I just didn't understand the technical term "running carbon" I assumed that it was filtering the water through carbon but before I made a mistake I wanted to fully understand. Plus I know I have to do a water change, my question was more how much and how often.

As well I wanted to run home after work and if need be stop over at the store and get anything I needed. But as you mentioned I can use a mesh bag and some carbon which I have already anyway.

So all in all I should be find with this plan. Just have to be patient and work through this with simple steps.

Now I have a question; Will this effect my fish in any major way other than the chemical imbalance and stress? I have a large clean up crew and so what ever I can’t find I am sure they will get, but I am more worried about the mucus from the BTA in the water? Will it effect them even though I do water changes?

What I do know at this point is that my skimmer is doing a lot of work right not. A lot of skim is coming out of it. Which I assume is good but may through the salinity off a lot.
    Carl Sandburg

More to come...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast