Unhappy Ikilled my first fishy

okay so please don't rip me a new one I feel really bad. I somehow killed one of my new clown fish. :b1: my 75gal tank has been running with 65lb of live rock (plus about 10-12lbs attached to my new mushrooms) for six weeks. At 4 weeks I added a bicolour blenny and a red stripe goby. They are eating well and look really good. I have been adding small frags ( a single mushroom, a button polyp frag about the size of a nickle) as I've gone. At 5 weeks (maybe a day before) I added two blue/green chromis and they are doing well. So today I went to my LFG (local fish guy) and purchased 20 more snails and 10 more hermits. I bought 2 cleaner shrimp a star and 2 clownfish. I sowly did the intorduction to the tank for everyone except the snails (I like to give them a head start). I left the lights off the tank and went out for a bit so our 4 year olds loudness wouldn't add to their stress (the tanks in our living room) I came home and waited about 20min and turned the lights on. Everyone looked great! The clowns had paired nicely and were swiming around great. I fed everyone supper and even they ate! I couldn't believe it Everyone said not to panic if they didn't eat right off the bat. I write a letter to my LFG about some super rock he's getting in and thank him for the fish. I go to look at them again (an hour or so after feeding them) and the smaller clown fish is laying on the bottom of the tank convulsing (not sure how else to describe it) I quickly turn out the light and write to my LFG to ask him what to do. (This guy has been in the hobby about 20+ years so I really trust him)he writes me back and says hang in there. Keep the lights off and be quiet and watch. I return to the tank 5 minutes later and he/she's dead! I gently put in my net hoping to see it's just playing dead (I know a last ditch effort) and it doesn't move. I scoop it up and nothing. :b1: Now I wait and see, and the other clown fish comes over and starts to nudge it as if trying to wake it up. Now I'm in tears and scoop it out into a bag of water (again I know last ditch effort). Now what? I really want a pair of clowns. Should I replace this one a.s.a.p? I don't want the live one to be aggresive towards a new friend but I'm really discouraged. Any advice would be great. All of the other fish are still fine. The live clown is swimming by where the dead one was as if it's looking for it.

sorry to hear of your loss :b1:

we try not to rip people new ones here :b15:, have you tested your water paramaters? ( and what are they ) you will be able to add another clown ( make him a really small juvi ) later but for now lets see if we can find the cause.

does the other clown look normal?, any spots / blotches or respiration problems??

did you drip acclimate?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    These things happen unfortunately I'm not exactly sure what happened but I'm thinking it was the salinity. How big of a difference was the salinity in the bag and your tank? How long did you acclimate?

IJO

thanks all

Thanks for understanding I'm a newb. On a lot of the other sites everyone seems to want to tear apart the newbie. My PH is 8 (the same as his), My salinity is 1.024 his is 1.023, my Amonia is 0 and my Nitrites are 0.1. He said for now that's all I need to test. All of my others look fine. Including the other clown. I did the drip acclimate for about 20 minutes and everything seemed fine. He ate when I fed him and then an hour later was when he started convulsing 5 minutes later he was dead. He looks normal (my 4 year old has him in a bag for his funeral tonight), no splothes or strange colouring. He was a little on the small side but the LFG told me that's how big they are when they come in. Any thoughts?
    Thanks so much You guys are awesome!

My condolances too - it is always hard to lose a fish, especially when it is your first one.

How are you measuring the salinity - refractometer? Hydrometer? Or some other way? You might want to get the LFS/LFG to check your parameters with his measurement devices to be sure that you aren't missing a problem due to differences in measuring methods. However, with one fish doing well and one dying, it's hard to see how water parameters would be the issue. I sounds like the fish was sick before you bought it. Were the clowns captive bred or wild caught? If the latter, how long had they been in quarantine before he sold them to you? Are any of his other clowns having health problems?
    Nick

thanks

It was pretty sad but I guess these things happen. I think I'll swing by the LFS tomorrow and get them to test my water. I know everyone else seems really good still. The other clown keeps going back to that spot every 20 minutes or so as if he's looking for his buddy. I think I'll wait it out this week and go and get him a friend again on the weekend if everything still looks good. They are captive bred. He was small so maybe it was to much of a shock after being shipped to be brought here. Thanks again

I would wait longer to add another fish. With your tank only running about 6 weeks you have added a lot of bioload already. As you add a new critter it will disrupt your bacteria levels and throw you into a mini cycle. Giving the tank time to stabilize after each addition is a good idea. I would sit back and enjoy the tank for the next month or two before adding anymore fish. Patience is the key in this hobby and especially in a new tank.

BTW, welcome to AC and the hobby.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

The same thing happened to me...I use to feed my fish frozen uncooked shrimp that I would just buy at the grocery store. I would chop it up into small pieces and feed it to all my fish. One day I put some in the tank and right away realized that one of the pieces was too big and tried to grab it. Unfortunatly one of my clowns grabbed it before I could. You could see at first that he was trying to swallow it whole but was having some difficulties...he then began to slow down with his activity and was getting closer and closer to the bottom of the tank. He couldn't close his mouth and was breathing funny. I took him out of the tank and tried to pull the food out of his mouth but even with tweezers his mouth was too small to get in. He died about 5 minutes after he took the food. Everyone I tell says that fish can't chock to death but how else do you explain this?? Did you feed the fish a big chunk of food too?

Quote Originally Posted by wend121 View Post
    The same thing happened to me...I use to feed my fish frozen uncooked shrimp that I would just buy at the grocery store. I would chop it up into small pieces and feed it to all my fish. One day I put some in the tank and right away realized that one of the pieces was too big and tried to grab it. Unfortunatly one of my clowns grabbed it before I could. You could see at first that he was trying to swallow it whole but was having some difficulties...he then began to slow down with his activity and was getting closer and closer to the bottom of the tank. He couldn't close his mouth and was breathing funny. I took him out of the tank and tried to pull the food out of his mouth but even with tweezers his mouth was too small to get in. He died about 5 minutes after he took the food. Everyone I tell says that fish can't chock to death but how else do you explain this?? Did you feed the fish a big chunk of food too?
    I was thinking the same thing - the clown choked to death. Those frozen food bits can be big for tiny clowns.

Sorry for your loss. Im sure it was a fluke of some kind, because everything sounds OK. You'll probably never know what killed the little guy - barring a fishy autopsy.
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Sorry about your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsarmywife View Post
    I did the drip acclimate for about 20 minutes and everything seemed fine.
    I would recommend doing a longer acclimation. When I rush things, I drip for 1 hour. I normally go for 2 hours.
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff