Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slime

slime

i have a 12g fish tank with a cleaner shrimp, 2 corals, and an anenome. theres this slimy string stuff everywhere, is it suppose to be like that?

Welcome to AC.

How old is the tank? Can you tell us more about (e.g. lighting, filtration methods, water parameters, etc.
    Nick

its a week old. i have an oceanic bio cube size 24. i dont know about the filters or anything. 10 pounds of live rocks and 2 inches of sand

I don't know what background research you did before starting this tank but I would strongly advise that you take some more time to read a couple of good books on the fundamentals. A one week old tank is very new. Every tank has to go through a biochemical cycle during which it develops a strong growth of bacteria which are able to convert ammonia to nitrite and then nitrate. Ammonia is very toxic to corals and most other oragnisms. In a one week old tank, you are likely still at the point of having high ammonium levels (measuring them would help). Once the chemical cycle is completed, there will be a progression of different types of algae as the tank develops a biological ecosystem. In order to keep all of this going, you need to do regular water changes and have some type of filtration system. Most people recommend a protein skiimer although, with a smaller tank, weekly water changes can do instead. You also can't use regular tap water (you have to at least de-chlorinate it). For a small tank, I'd go the grocery store and buy R/O or distilled water.

Anemones are very hard to keep. Most people recommend that a tank should mature at least six months before adding an anemone to it (some people say that you should never add one). So, having an anemone in a one week old tank is not a good idea. Also, anemones need high water flow and intense lighting (usually metal halide in type). The default lighting in a biocube won't be enough to support an anenome nor many intersting types of corrals.

So, my adivse to you at this point would be to take things slow. Buy a couple of good books and read them twice. Read everything you can on this forum and on Reefcentral.com. Buy and learn how to use good water test kits. Let the tank sit with regular monitoring and water changes for at least 4-6 weeks. If you have a friend with an established tank, lend him/her the anemone for a least a couple of months until your tanks stablizes. After a few weeks, start adding some snails/crabs and perhaps a small fish.

I know that this answer isn't what you asked about. However, reefkeeping is a long term committment. If you want to get pleasure from it, you need to set a good foundation. If you jump too quickly, you will just get frustrated, discouraged and likely quit. That will cost you money and deny the hobby another eager participant. You will find people here are very friendly and willing to offer all sorts of help. Hope you will be able to find a way to make this work out for you.
    Nick

First off welcome to AquariaCanada!

Now about the tank.. when you say the tank is a week old do you mean that you purchased a previously setup tank from another hobbyist a week ago or you went to the fish store and bought a tank, rock, critters a week ago?

Can you post a pic of the stringy stuff? There should be no stringy stuff in a tank but there are different types with different causes.

If you bought everything from a store a week ago I would strongly suggest finding a new home for the shrimp, anemone and even the corals depending on the coral. A new tank should be setup and allowed to cycle for several weeks to a few months before adding livestock. An anemone requires strong lighting and very stable water parameters to survive. It may be the anemone producing the stringy stuff to which you refer if it is expelling it's pigments or dying.

Just remember in this hobby patience is the key to success.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

I guess nick types faster then me :b7:
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    Hi and welcome to Aquaria Canada!

as for the tank, if its indeed 1 week old, please understand that you should wait quite a bit of time before adding anything to a saltwater system.

What methods of filtration do you use ? *( liverock, protein skimmer, charcoal, etc ) ( I do see 10# of LR )

What are your parameters like ( temp, salinity, nitrates,nitrites,phosphates, ph , alk, ca ? )

Did you purchase everything in one shot ? ( i'm not trying to point fingers, but buying a new tank as well as an anemone, corals and shrimp should wave a red flag to trained staff ).

Please post a picture of your setup and the slime so we may help you.

Also, post your location, maybe locals to you could help you out. ( I do see ISP is Comcast and region seems to be Sacramento ) but ARIN could be off.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

The guy at the fish store said i could start adding corals and stuff to it, just not fish yet. Im using the lights and filter that came with the tank, the fish guys said it would work. i bought the fish tank, rocks and sand first, then after a week i bought the corals and anenome and shrimp, i only tested for ammonia and nitrate so far and their both 0, the salt is at 1.024. The slime is gone and everything seems normal, nothing died yet. so im not suppose to have anything in the tank for a month? The fish guy said i could started adding after 3 days, but i waited for a week.

liv: am from sacramento, ca not using comcast though.

oh yeah... i forgot to mention i went the the fish store today and the fish guy told me to buy a cheap fish to put in there to help the cycling go faster. so i bought a 3 dollar blue fish and it seems fine in there.

aslo, how long should i keep the lights on for?

liv
    Hi.
    your tank's cycle hasn't started yet. thats most likely why your tests are not showing anything. I would have waited 1-2months before adding corals and fishies etc.

also, adding those damsels or chromis is an old mentality that unfortunately alot of store owners still push out. a bit sad to say the least. I find that adding a piece of raw uncooked/unprocessed shrimp does the same thing.
    you basically let the piece of shrimp rott in the bottom of the tank and let nature do its thing, once your spikes are gone, then its ok to slowly start adding biodiversity.

as for the location, Comcast most likely owns that ip range and is reselling that range to smaller isp's or companies.

I'm not sure how much experience you have in this hobby, but I do recommend a few books to everyone to read.

find the "Product Information and Reviews" forum
    inside this find the "books"

- book review: Natural Reef Aquariums
    - book review: Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques
    - book review: The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art and Technology

The first is a bit older then the others, but we still apply most of the techniques in there while keeping the level of technical details reasonable.

The second would be a great addition to the first ( once completed and understood )

The third one would be once completed the first two. ( very heavy stuff, but absolutely amazing )

Also note that these books are also reference books so you can dive into one specific item and read that only.. great for touching up one in a while. Also note that it may take several times reading these books to fully understand the concepts.

Hope this helps !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast