Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Woke up to a fire!!!!!

Damit!

So im sound asleep on my couch... and well i wake up to smelling somthing, So i roll off the couch.. start to look around, and see it!.. Shit dripping into my tank! .. So i run over and open up the canopy to see a fire! the ENDCAP caught on fire!

So i posted a pic of the endcap.. this one was the worst but i will post some pic of the rest! .

So now im freaking out.. becouse i have i think lost 2 sets of endcaps.. and a Bulb! .. So waht can i do now.. as it was my tank was running on Bare minimums.. ( lighting) now there is no way my tank will survive on just 2 VHO bulbs! .

Sorry guys just venting!

And this is what is left of my Brand new 10k VHO bulb!

Im at the point now where if someone wants my tank come and get it! .. I have had nothing but BAD Luck in the last year!... nothing goes right.. I get things the way i want and shit like this happends!.. Either its Leaks!! Deaths.. and now FIRE!

Your not alone. You've probably seen the rising number of people on RC that had VHO endcap fires right?

Have any idea why it happened?
    Thats one of my fears with Vho lighting i am glad to see that you were home to catch it before it got out of hand.Most of the lighting use in the hobby is home made so i doubt that insurance would even pay up (non csa approval)
    your end caps are the same as mine.
    I hope its not a defect in them.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. You were lucky to catch the fire and stop any further damage. I hope things improve soon for you.
    Were they under the warranty period??? I'd double check with your insurance, and write a descriptive "loss"complaint to the company etc...
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Truly sorry to hear this.

In regards to your fish loss problem someone asked yesterday whether it could be due to your recent VHO wiring. In light of this situation, I think it's a fair question to ask again.

Unhappy mike

hang in there bud! things come in 3's so I think your almost there. That truly sucks and those VHO endcaps are in no way water/moister proof! I've posted yesterday about that same thing as I lost a bulb[BOOM!] to moister rolling and collecting at the end of the lamp at night when lights weren't on. There is 2 ways to help this problem out.
    1: people are installing there lights way to close to the water and moister builds upfast.
    2:leave a small fan on in the canopy. Lots of people have there fans on only when the halides are on.
    The salt creep inside the cap is causing arking but there should be some safety feature installed. Those metal clips inside the endcaps corrode fast if any moister gets in there. They should be made of stainless steel or titanium but I don't think those metals are good conductors. To all with VHO or even NO, make sure you have your lights up a fair distance and keep your fan on 24/7

Johnny, what hieght above the water are you suggesting?
    Nick

mine are around 10'' from surface. Now this sucks a bit for me because I'm using PFO reflectors which are predrilled for VHO so if these lights are off the water surface by 10'' it makes my MH lights off even further. On my new tank I'm going to rectifiy that some how. This is were pendant lighting becomes alot more pratical as well as DE lamps.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    What about using waterproof endcaps? Like the Coralife ones?
    That's what I'm using with my 40w NO fluorescents.
    Can Coralife endcaps be used with VHO's? Or must I use those fire-prone ones?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast