I am thinking of getting rid of my protien skimmer and going skimmerless

I have my gigantic denitrator that I have finished (but since I am moving at the end of the week, I have not got it going yet). And i just built an awesome overflow system, and got a sump going. (the water is so crystal clear now with the sump!) *ps, I will put up the final built pictures as soon as it's running.

I am thinking of just getting rid of the protien skimmer all together. I have researched on the net and saw many tanks with no protien skimmers that look awesome.

Does anyone here have a story or pictures of tanks that are skimmerless.

*remember, I have a HUGE denitrator able to denitrate about 300+ gallons. And I have a sump.

What is the communities thoughts?
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

Smile

keep the skimmer, its added insurance. if you have any deaths or spawnings
    the skimmer will help immediatly were as the denitrator will not.
    skimmers also help with oxygen and blow off C0 2 if you use a reactor later or KALK. skimmers and denitrators do 2 very different things.
    you can have a tank with out both of those but,,, thats a whole new ballgame
    and you have to be willing to have very little bioload.
    as well, it could take a few years for skimmerless tanks to start running into issues,
    I've ran skimmerless but it wasn't great for me. I like the idea but skimmer exist for a reason.
    I like fish so a good skimmer and refugium lets me keep more fish.
    hope that helps.

liv
    its doable.. but as indicated.. bioload will need to be reduced greatly.,, even with your big denitrator. I've seen some awesome tanks run no skimmers, but either not a fish in sight or huge water changes. you will need to find a way to oxygenate your tank.. think maybe adding some kind of waterfall or baffles so water may get oxygen that way.. if your tank is thriving now.. it may take one hell of a hit once its gone.. but.. if your skimmer is already not that effecting.. you may not see much.. keep testing your params.. test daily and adjust accordingly.

add circulation if you do that.. and increase water change volume and frequency.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Based upon the amount of skimate I collect from TWO skimmers on a 180 +, I can't magine how a tank containing that chemical soup could possibly be healthy.

You've got nothing to loose by keeping it running.

My 2 cents.

The skimmer is designed to actually remove the crud from the water. If you go skimmer-less you will need to remove that with larger more frequent water changes. As long as you stay on top of the maintenance, keep the bioload lower and don't overfeed you should be okay.

But on the other hand a good skimmer running never hurts :b15:
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    keep the skimmer.

Occasionaly we see threads come up proposing that successful tanks can be run without skimmers (which they can) by people who don't want to buy a skimmer. You already own a skimmer, so I'm with Shipwreck on this one, why not run it? Aside from some arugements that have been made for keeping "dirty" water to support filter feeding corals such as gorgs, most reef keepers want pristine water. That is why it is so common in this hobby to run a skimmer.

ive been skimmerless for last 3 months now... and i cant wait to get one back.... i have to do way more frequent water changes.. used to do it once a month... now every week... i see the crud collecting in my sump... its discusting.... I <3 skimmers.... just waiting for the right one to come along hahaha

ijo
    my wall tank is skimmerless and does look to be in great health but then again it's only 26 gallons and I'm doing roughly 5 gallon water changes ever second week. The only reason I don't have one is for the look... I have knowhere to hide it.

IJO

liv
    absolutely.. water changes will do wonders.. specially if your replacing 25% every 2 weeks

but he wants to also stop water changes.. one hell of a challenge for sure.

Im planning on doing the opposite.. running a bigger skimmer when/if mine ever dies with a modified reef dart.