Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

House sold, moving, freaking out..

Hey folks,

Well the day has finally come. We've sold our house and are moving much closer to the city.

While I'm glad I'll have more space for tanks, I'm really freaking out after the last tank move fiasco. (SB was really stirred up and toxified the tank)

Please help me do this one right guys!

I have four weeks to plan and the only SW tank set up is the 55gal that crashed after the last move. It's doing really well, livestock is minimum, water clear and within params. The two small tanks are dismantled (sitting outside getting rained on) and the 130 still lies in a corner longing to be outfitted and operational

The three FW fish I have left (2 of them 6 years old) in the 44gal are going to a friend's dad, he's in to the FW tanks and is very experienced (keeps brackish tanks too..) While I will miss my fishies, they're taking up valuable potential SW real estate. (Hope my hubby doesn't read this! )

Please, any help/advice appreciated.. do I take the water with me or mix all new water? Are bags or ziplocs containers better for transporting critters?
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Am I crazy to suggest you rinse your substrate really well in an attempt to reduce the chance of a crash. I realize you will wash out a lot of the good with the bad and have to start over from your substrate's perspective but I think that is better than a crash.

ijo
    I would setup the tank,sand,rock, everything but the livestock and let things settle for a day... Do a 50% water change and check your parameters... If everything is in check, add the livestock and get another water change read just in case it's needed.

While the tank is settling in for that first day... Keep your livestock in buckets with a heater, and a powerhead. do 50%water changes in these buckets daily until your tank is ready for livestock.

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by RossW View Post
    Am I crazy to suggest you rinse your substrate really well in an attempt to reduce the chance of a crash. I realize you will wash out a lot of the good with the bad and have to start over from your substrate's perspective but I think that is better than a crash.
    not crazy at all, good adice :b16:

don't worry yukon, we can help you.

this sounds like a good time to set up the new tank too. are you limited to one day for the move or do you have some extra time?? i never advise moving a sandbed, only leads to problems. there is more than enough good bacteria in your LR to easily populate a new or rinsed and dried sandbed. i don't think ziplock's are big enough, as IJO said use pales or even the bigger garbage pales.

it's nice to see you thinking well in advance, we can not doubt help you with all the tanks, moves and experience we have under our belts.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Still have 3 food grade garbage cans we can use for transporting as well as a 5 gallon food grade bucket to use for moving the rock, some water and livestock. Can the livestock survive in there as long as I do daily water changes?

We are hoping to be able to start moving stuff in a day before we have to be out of this place but haven't heard whether or not we'll be allowed to so we're planning for a one day move at this point.

Would love to set up the big tank but not sure we'll be able to afford to buy all the rest of the equipment (skimmer, lighting etc..) The skimmer on the 55gal hasn't been producing anything so I have to buy one anyway and it would make most sense to go bigger and equip the big tank, turn the 55 into a sump/fuge.. I am currently using the skimmer from the 20gal on the 55. Don't have anything that requires high light at this point, I guess I could use the fixture off the 55 until I can afford something with higher output..

Will the LR need to have a powerhead as well?

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    Still have 3 food grade garbage cans we can Will the LR need to have a powerhead as well?
    I believe so. I had two buckets of live rock and I had powerheads in there but there was no room for water movement and things started to stink real bad!!! Once I move some rock into a third buckert and allowed some water to flow it was much better.

How long did you have the rocks out of the tank for RossW?

5+ weeks and counting :b15: It is just rock though, no coral. All of my corals are crammed into my 24g tank.

I believe corals would easily survive a couple days out of the tank in nice buckets.

Tomorrow I am levelling the stand and putting my 120g on it!!! The summer months have thrown a wrench into all of my plans.

it's not going to be easy and the sooner you decide whether you're going to do the 130 or try to simply move each of the setups ( or combine, from your sig no reason not to ) the better. i would try to give the chocolate chip's away to the LFS because you probably wont want them in a reef tank but for now they can go in.

hows your water quality in the two tanks???

it would be best to start with new SW but use the old water to transport everything. when i did my winter move, i re-used the water and it made it simpler but i don't think i would do it again, it's just a perfect opportunity to start fresh.

so, are you going to combine both tank into the 55 or try the upgrade??

then we can go form there :b16:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

The tanks are already combined, I've dismantled the 20 gal.
    Water quality in the 55 gal. is good, even with the small skimmer on it but it's lightly stocked..

If I start from fresh will I have to go through cycling again? Will I experience algae blooms and the like?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast