Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solowma's new tank build...

Ok before you harrass me, I will have pictures up soon so you can see what I am working with...
    Well the long lived dream is starting to become a reality. I am upgrading from my 55 gal to a multiple system. First thing I learned is learn from your mistakes. I did so many things wrong on the first tank that I feel real stupid for doing them. This time around, I hope to do it right the first time. (using a drilled tank)
    So to start of with, the wife and I bought a new house that had to be able to fit a new aquarium of my choice. We ended up buying a nice size bungalow with oversized double garage. The garage for the toys was a bonus too. :b3: After selling the old house and purchasing the new one, I had some money left over and along came the dream. Well that is after I paid off some of the debt we both had.
    So after going up and down to what size tank I wanted, I ended up with a 150 gallon corner-flo. The reason on this was the maintenance costs, running costs and humidity factors on the house. I orginally wanted a 300 but just the bulbs for the lighting a year would cost me 600 dollars let alone the cost to run them.
    I have basically purchased everything I need except salt, sand and plumbing. Here is the list of stuff I have picked up:

150 gallon 48x24x30 corner-flo aquarium.
    75 gallon custom sump
    30 refuge
    56 gallon fowlr tank in wall 30x18x24
    120 lbs of south sea base rock
    Current USA Orbit w/t5 2x250 watt MH fixture
    Reefkeeper Elite controller
    Misc. stuff (heaters, blue backing)
    Using existing 9010 Tunze skimmer to start then might put another one in later.

I have done the electrical for the tank with 3 dedicated 15 amp circuit with generator backup. (plug and play). I am tearing apart the wall and beginning the stand tonight.

I will take picks tonight of everything and post them up.

To all the sponsors, You have been a great help in my decision on this build and hope to be spending more money in your stores soon.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

I am going to be running the FOWLR and Reef system of the same sump with the refuge dumping into the sump. I wanted to put the refuge higher than the reef and dump directly into the tank but with the fowlr tank in the way it won't fit. Plus it doesn't look very pleasing too having hoses running into the top of the tank.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

liv
    damn, you guys are too quick.. and I was going to ask about pictures

Looks like its going to be a great setup bud!

as for the bulbs, ya.. i'm in that boat.. 3x 400wMH ~10months. + 6 t5ho uri every 12months... adds up.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Well here are some picks as promised.

Tank and sump picks, The spot where the 150 is going. Have to find another spot to put the junk and start the stand. Finally the walls that I started to cut. You can see in the junk picture where the tank is going in the wall beside the indent in the wall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solowma's new tank build...-p1010062.jpg   Solowma's new tank build...-p1010061.jpg   Solowma's new tank build...-p1010063.jpg   Solowma's new tank build...-p1010064.jpg   Solowma's new tank build...-p1010065.jpg  

Solowma's new tank build...-p1010066.jpg  
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock

I think there is almost as much fun setting it up and seeing it come together piece by piece as it is to stock it. I like your sump. It is nicely laid out.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

Yah I was impressed on the quality of the sump. I was going to buy a 65 gallon and send it to centinial glass to have baffles cut for it almost the same way. But thanks to Az at Aquavalley, I found this beauty.
    It has a compartment to hang my tunze skimmer, uv sterilizer when needed and lots of other space for the heaters. Great thing is you can fill her up to hold a little extra water if you are going away for a couple of days.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock

looking good :b2:

i agree with reefmania, its just as much fun doing the build as it is having the tank done. i'll be waiting for more pics as the build goes.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Nice sump! Nice location too
    Post more progress soon!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Well I am sorry guys that I haven't continued with this but I have been extremely busy at work and haven't had much time to work on the system.

The stand is on the way. I have cut the legs and glued them together. Smoothed them out with the plainer and made the braces.

I have picked up some more equipment since the last post. My reefkeeper elite has come in. My 48" 250 watt current usa lighting fixture has come in.
    Yes Az, I have tried it out and wow!!! I also was fortunate to get the nano wavebox at marinescape a couple of weeks ago. I was going to put it in my 55 gallon but I don't want to risk it. Instructions say the tank should be good and solid. The tank is 13 years old and may not hold up to the pounding waves.

I bought the 56 gallon wall tank and sent it and my 30 gallon refuge out to be drilled. Well I came home with the 56 gal. The 30 gallon was pretty old so it didn't drill too well. That is the main reason for not using the wavebox.

I will post some more picks when I get back to working on setup. Thats it for now.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock

we all get busy, post some pics when you can :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast