Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

plumbing a 180?!?

I need help plumbing my 180. I have two 1.5 overflows going out the back bottom. Do I just run these straight down into one end of my sump, or run one to my skimmer half and one to my fuge? Do they connect down there? What about the return? Do I just run a line straight up and then tee it off into a few directions? I am not drilling any holes in my tank, that scares the crap out of me, so no closed loop. I'm so lost, everyone has a completely different setup from the last guy!

i would run one to the fuge and one to the sump / skimmer. you can connect the two 1 1/2" lines together with a couple of t's and cross pipe, this will allow you to install a ball valve on the refuge line to adjust the flow and divert the excess over to the sump / fuge line.

hmm, i even confused myself there. heres a quick sketch

in the sketch i made the bottom of one line larger ( 2" ), dependant on how much water you are trying to flow through the pipes. ( 1 1/2" can handle about 1300gph and 2" can handle about 2300gph )

for the return, i would run the one line and branch it up at the tank, again size and type will be dependant on how much water you are trying to move. i like to use my sump / return system just for filtration and get the rest of my flow up at the tank with powerheads or even an external closed loop that runs over top of the tank ( if you aren't going to drill ).
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Yeah I would run two seperate pipes down to your sump & fuge as far as your return goe's one line than T it off depending on how strong your pump is you could even have four returns coming off your main line much like a manifold system with seperate valves on each line for better flow control. The beauty with your 180 is that it's drilled with 2 overflows it gives you a much broader range of pump sizes to choose from with out the risk of it draining your sump and overflowing your tank:b13:not good. When it comes to plumbing let your imagination run wild it's funner that way.:b2:

perfect!

OK, I'm gonna do just that, 1.5 all down and 1" return, I bought a brand new reeflo dart for a return pump, haven't picked a skimmer yet, looking for a deal!

wow, thats a pretty big pump for a sump return.

how much head pressure do you think you're going to have?? ( including all fittings )

how big is your sump??

that pump has 2" inlet and an 1 1/2" outlet, i would make sure not to restrict the inlet ( use 2" ) and use 1 1/2" or 2" on the outlet up to the tank then split flow there to minimize pressure loss ( additional head pressure ).
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

a4twnety must be a faster typist

Why a 1" diameter return? The Dart has a 1.5" outflow. Sticking with at least 1.5" for the return flow would seem to make sense. According to the ReefCentral head loss calculator, 1" return plumbing on your pump would lead to about 1500 GPH in flow from the 3600 GPH pump. If you go with 1.5" plumbing, this increases to about 2500 GPH. Going with 2" return plumbing yields a futher increase to about 2,800 GPH.
    Nick

pump

Sorry, for some reason I was under the imression the suction side of a dart was 1.5 and the return side was 1" I will be going with 1.5" on the drains cause thats what my dual overflows are drilled to. I will go with 1.5" on the return line to then, then break it down up top to two (or maybe more) smaller lines on the top. I got the dart under the recommendation of a mod on the other popular Canadian site, I thought it was alot, but I'm new to this.....lol

a4twenty, my sump is 50g

There seems to be a bit of a shift going on in the approach to getting flow. When I started a few years ago, high flow came from a big return pump in the sump, sometimes supplemented by a closed loop. Lately, people seem to be dropping the sump flow considerably, and providing in tank flow using streaming pumps (e.g Tunze) or a closed loop with variable return pattern (e.g. an Ocean Motions unit). The Dart is a very good pump and will give you many options. A 50G sump will only have about 30-35G of actual water (to provide capacity for drainage from the main tank with the return pump is off (Ihave you checked that a 50G will be enough to hold that flow?). At 2500GPH through the sump, you would be turning over the sump water over 80 times per hour (over once per minute). Some people think that this doesn't give the skimmer time to properly remove products from the water. You could plumb in a flow control valve or a bypass unit to divert some of the pump output back into the sump.
    Nick

pump

What about splitting the return line into 4 or more at the top of the tank, and spreading it out into four different areas, much like a closed loop, but just doing it with the return line?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast