Need general Help

Hi all great site i have done alot of reading.I am going to get back into the hobby after about 12 years and I wanted to get some opinions on what to do.I would like to keep it as cheap as possible...lol like anything with this hobby is cheap:b7: Well i have some equipment left over from the past. this is what I want, I have a75 gal tank 4'L 18"W 21"H a berlin protien skimmer , and a 30 gal tank that I had set up with bio ball,I use to sit a bucket of crushed coral on top of the sump above the bioball let the water run through the crushed coral first then onto the balls and into the sump, the display tank was bare bottom.I guess this is old school stuff now...

The bio load i am looking to keep are Fish
    Yellow Tang, Blue hippo Tang,2 percula clowns,Kole tang, flame angel, coral beauty ,Manderine gobyalong with astrea snails and hermit crab
    Coral
    2 clams sun coral star polyps candycane moon coral, pocillopora,psammacora,montipora foliosa, hammer coral ,trumpit,and 2-3 ackons
    Is this to much of a load and can i use any of the equipment i already have and which set up is best Refudge,denitrate coil,I also am making some 100 pounds homemade rock 20 pounds liverock and want to mix some FS live sand with some play sand and Nature’s Ocean Bio-Activ LiveAragonite

Hope I didn't ramble to much

lets start with a ...............

to Aquaria Canada

now to your questions...

3 tangs in a 75 would not work, they require a lot more room than that and would surely pollute the water quite bad.

bio balls are a no-no now and only sometime used in a fish only system, but still with very little success. ( they produce nitrates )

the berlin skimmers are quite dismal and wouldn't work with the size of bio-load you are thinking about.

sorry for all the bad news :b8:

is your 75G tank drilled?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    lets start with a ...............

to Aquaria Canada

now to your questions...

3 tangs in a 75 would not work, they require a lot more room than that and would surely pollute the water quite bad.

bio balls are a no-no now and only sometime used in a fish only system, but still with very little success. ( they produce nitrates )

the berlin skimmers are quite dismal and wouldn't work with the size of bio-load you are thinking about.

sorry for all the bad news :b8:

is your 75G tank drilled?
    Thank you A4twenty for the warm welcome. I had those same 3 tangs in my old system 12 years ago and the tank was up for 4 years...the 75 gal is not drilled but I could have it drilled.But I really want to do this tank right so how big do i have to go to keep the bio load i have listed?

liv
    Hi and welcome
    the Gallons of water needed is also not the only answer, they need room to sprint. if you can get at least 60" long or even 72", your tangs will love you for it. they just love to nice long spaces. the yellow is one of the smaller tangs, but the hippo does get quite large ( 12" ) and will eventually outgrow most regular sized tanks... they also eat and poop like pigs.. so a tiny one will fit in your tank for a few years.. but eventually it will either outgrow your tank or die from stress due to its limited space.

depending on what you decide to keep, space limitations and how you decide to landscape, the 120g could be a nice alternative, 72" long, 18" wide and 22" high. or go bigger

depending on when you decide to start this, you might get a great deal if you wait on boxing day at Big Als.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    Hi and welcome
    the Gallons of water needed is also not the only answer, they need room to sprint. if you can get at least 60" long or even 72", your tangs will love you for it. they just love to nice long spaces. the yellow is one of the smaller tangs, but the hippo does get quite large ( 12" ) and will eventually outgrow most regular sized tanks... they also eat and poop like pigs.. so a tiny one will fit in your tank for a few years.. but eventually it will either outgrow your tank or die from stress due to its limited space.

depending on what you decide to keep, space limitations and how you decide to landscape, the 120g could be a nice alternative, 72" long, 18" wide and 22" high. or go bigger

depending on when you decide to start this, you might get a great deal if you wait on boxing day at Big Als.
    Here is my plan from my house is a split level and my kitchen looks down into the familyroom the opening is 7.5 feet long I want to biuld a tank with a 7.5'long 24" w 22' high. But only use 5.5 for display tank and the other 2'x2' for a refuge.I will have the tank sit directly on the floor in the kitchen and from the familyroom it will look like it is built in the wall....The aquascape is going to go in the middle 4'x1' so fish can swim around it through it and over it
    Ok thank you for the advise I have some new questions. I think I might build my own plywood and glass tank and have done alot of reading ...things I have not been able to find though can I have glass on both side of the tank so I can see the fish from the kitchen and familyroom? And at one end can I have a refuge is 2'x2' big enough? I plan on using 2 mh and 4 t5 4'long how high from the water do I have to mount them?

wow, sounds like an awesome project. unfortunately i don't know much about plywood tanks but have read a few great threads on the subject. i would think using a glass tank would be the easier way to go, to have tow viewable sides.

depending on the type of halides ( DE or SE ) you will need to keep them up to ~6" - 8" from the surface of the water but can get closer with the DE bulbs in cooled reflectors. the T5's can go really close, you just don't want them getting splashed.

2' x 2' would be a great sized refugium, would you have a sump under the tank or would you be combining the two in the display?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

No there will be know sump under the tank, I might up a sump on the other side of the tank under a counter for protien skimmer heaters ect....
    I would rather build a plywood tank if i could , this area is also going to be used as a eating area.
    I will start it in a few weeks and post my progress just making so homehade rock now so I need it to leach for 2 months anyway....
    Also I gave some rock to a friend of mine to seed for me in his 6yr old tank how long till the rock will be seeded enough to go into my tank?