Thread: Goby Madness

Goby Madness

Well Ive got to admit it... I'm a goby superfreak... just love em. How many gobies can one put into a tank, reasonably.

The system I have is in-progress... but for all intense and purpose I have a 92gal Bowfront corner tank with +100gal of sump space (160gal tank therefore approx 100-120gal of sump driving the 92gal tank).

I still need room for my Blue Spot jaw, Kole Tank, pair of Picasso Clowns, a Fairy wrasse, and a Black Cap Basslet... (wrasse and black cap are incoming within a few months) (my wife wants a yellow tang in there also, or a purple).

I know, half the boards users just groaned at this newbie question... what can I say... :b3:

liv
    most gobies are very territorial.. so be careful, they could fight til death. one thing for sure is never get two of the same sp. unless they are a mated pair and you know that for a fact. 92corner.. i'd say a few like 3 tops. get them from different genus and that will help. I keep a watchman goby and a blue-spotted goby, both never fight because they are soo different and they never see each other.. but the blue-spotted is definitely territorial and will chase any fish close to his burrow. I think i'd go after a baracuda.. lol

Oh.. forgot to mention, the watchman goby sits on sps corals all day long high up in the tank, while the blue-spotted is sitting on the aragonite only.
    You may want to get a goby with a matched pistol shrimp. they live in a kind of symbiosis.. really great to watch.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

That is excellent advise... exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

I want to get a Mandrin Goby... Both the Phyco and the Target... I have (will) a fuge so I'vre read they will have a larger food supply from the copods(sp) and this increases their tank-survival rate...

The watchman is cool.. would it pair up with a pistol shrimp? Would the blue-spot jawfish pair with pistol?

I saw a tank being discussed recently in another forum.

http://zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12757

This is an awesome tank and he has around 40 gobeis in it. Sounds crazy but take a look. You might be able to get some more ideas about keeping these fish from that thread.

liv
    I do not know if Watchman gobies have a symbiosis with any shrimps.. but I dont think so. You will have to research this one. Quite a few gobies do, but they are the larger ones.. the watchmans are all smaller sp.

40 gobies in a tank! this I gotta see!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30