Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue tang suicide

Hi everyone im still trying to get a hold of this but my blue tang kill himself. I checked all my parameter and there all ok. I know i'm new at this but I did not think fish would kill themselves (life is not that bad lol). I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this or would have an idea/suggestion on why.
    thanks

I don't think fish know that by jumping out = suicide.

Fish usually jump when stressed or unhappy. They are just trying to go to a different place.

How big was the tang and what size is your tank?
    29g Biocube, 2x90w Aqua Illumination LED light modules, Vortech MP20, Sapphire BC29 skimmer, GHL Profilux Plus II with 3pump doser.

He did not jump out he stuck himself on my inlet hose for my filter. I would remove him and he kept going back? The tang was 2inch still a baby and my tank is 75gal. I know the tank is to small for a full grown. But I was planing on upgrading the tank before he got to big for it.

Quote Originally Posted by igotit8869 View Post
    He did not jump out he stuck himself on my inlet hose for my filter. I would remove him and he kept going back? The tang was 2inch still a baby and my tank is 75gal. I know the tank is to small for a full grown. But I was planing on upgrading the tank before he got to big for it.
    That is very strange behaviour. What type of filter is it?

You should protect the intake from fish so that it can't happen again.
    29g Biocube, 2x90w Aqua Illumination LED light modules, Vortech MP20, Sapphire BC29 skimmer, GHL Profilux Plus II with 3pump doser.

liv
    yes, tangs have weird behaviors and hippos are very curious by nature.
    no suicide, just curious.
    this shows that you need to improve their environment to be safer... as deafgoose said,
    You should put a strainer on your input so it doesn't happen anymore.

To everyone:
    Always put strainers on your pump inputs at all times, not only to save fish and inverts, but to possibly save your equipment as well;
    Snail, Piece of coral or rubble could go through the inlet and chew up your impellers blades and destroy your pump and cause soo much havok..
    cheap safety precaution.

I have tangs that love to rearrange some of my corals and snap branches off all the time and drop them where ever they want.. clowns also do this to make nests etc.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

powder18

liv's right gotta used some strainer to avoid those problem in your tank, specially when all tangs get so stressout it swims wierd kinda like dying. like my blue regal tang everytime i moved some of my corals, he swim like nuts. sometimes it ended up stuck on my powerhead lucky he's still strong even my yellow tang too i almost killed him because of stress.

Along the lines of "Weird stuff tangs do"... I recently added a Kole tank to my tank... and after 3.5 hrs of acclimation, he was swimming and happy in the bag so I let him out into the tank... He made two laps and then went to the corner and lay down on his side! Frigg'n guy just lay there like he was dead! Absolutely freaked me out, but as I cold see him breathing and "watching me" I just left him there figuring there wasn't much I could do at this point that wouldn't add stress so it was in Posidens hands now...

After 15min on his side, he figured "no one's buying my, I'm a dead fish routine like in Finding Nemo so i might as well get up..." and he's been happy every sense... Frigg'n fish...

liv
    he he.. ya.. thats a tang for ya
    Do you have by any chance any shrimps in your tank ? Most tangs love to get cleaned by them. The "usual" position/sign that lets the shrimp know that its ok to clean him is to lay sideways right by the shrimp.

...Those tangs are attention whores... he he

thanks for the advise put a strainer on hopefully this will never happen again. As for the cleaning of the tangs with shrimp that was the most intresting thing I've seen in my tank going to miss that. Will have to buy another but with time im going to make my tank a little more animal safe.

liv
    absolutely, its all about learning from our mistakes and others mistakes
    I guess its why we are all here on this board

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast