Starting out - few Qs on nano tanks etc

Heya

First post here ... just starting out in the marine aquarium hobby. I have no tank as of yet - knowing that I'll be moving by year's end halted my plans to 'dive in' to the hobby, and instead I've spent many a night with my mini library of saltwater aquarium books, or surfing blogs and forums for reef aquarium journals.

I feel I have a pretty good grasp on things, and I'm eager to start. I have previous experience raising and breeding freshwater fish, but am trying to not let that get in the way of new information

I've been reading more and more about nano tanks from companies such as Oceanic and Red Sea, in terms of good and bad. It would be my understanding that starting out, I'd want a higher volume of water, to give myself extra time to react to potential problems, but I've read many success stories on intermediate aquarists sustaining them wonderfully. Does anyone here have any opinions on starting out with one of these? I already have a 120gal reef tank (48x24x24) ready to go, but I'm a patient person and open to changing my plans.

Furthermore, I've read various reports of the Oceanaic Biocube 29gal being faulty and weak; people coming home to tanks broken and drained. The Red Sea MAX has a reported 34gal size, but the actual aquarium is 29gal, which leads me to suspect both companies are getting their glass from the same place, and could be just as susceptible to cracking. On the other hand, I've read that the glass on the Oceanic 8 and 14 is actually thicker than the 29gal, and with less pressure is far safer. Has anyone had problems with any of these systems? Or is the consensus here that these are rather isolated incidents?

Next, I'm having trouble tracking down dealers in my area - west end of Toronto. I have no problem driving up to an hour to a shop, but I just don't know where they are! I know where the Big Al locations are, but I'm not sure about much else (the only other shop I really frequent to check stocks is Dragon Aquarium on Dundas street near the Mississauga Big Al location). Does anyone have a list of marine dealers from Etobicoke through Oakville and even Burlington? Note, I'd rather drive to Burlington than Scarborough, even though its further, I'd rather save the pain of driving across town.

I realized early on that all these great online dealers in the US can not ship to Canada, and there are a number of species I'm looking to aquire (including Bodianus sepiacaudus, some Anthias and possibly a Centropyge aurantius) and am wondering if there is anywhere I can actively go to search for them. Or better still, are there dealers who work closely with importers who are able to request a certain species when the time comes?

I know this is a long post, and thank you kindly if you made it through it all. I have a lot of other questions, but I'm going to keep reading through the boards here and see what answers I can tack down before I raise them here.

See you around!

-Alex

Where did you read about the Oceanic BC 29g failures?

I read the nano-reef forums daily and I have not found a single problem with them. I am VERY happy with my 29g BC.

Keep in mind that your cal, alk and mag will drop fast daily unless you dose. You could drip kalk or do 2part by hand. I bought a controller and doser to automate everything. Stability is everything and nano's are far from stable.
    29g Biocube, 2x90w Aqua Illumination LED light modules, Vortech MP20, Sapphire BC29 skimmer, GHL Profilux Plus II with 3pump doser.

to Aquaria Canada

we are so lucky, there are loads of stores in the Toronto area. if you are willing to drive to Oakville, there is the Oakvile Reef Gallery ( ORG ) in the mall directly north of the Ba's. ( its worth the drive just to see the tanks at BA's ).

heres a list of most the stores in the area, some are much better than others. where are you located, i may be able to suggest a closer one.

http://frags.ca/LFSLocator/results.p...r_Zip=&action=
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by deafgoose View Post
    Where did you read about the Oceanic BC 29g failures?

I read the nano-reef forums daily and I have not found a single problem with them. I am VERY happy with my 29g BC.

Keep in mind that your cal, alk and mag will drop fast daily unless you dose. You could drip kalk or do 2part by hand. I bought a controller and doser to automate everything. Stability is everything and nano's are far from stable.
    Thanks for the reply ... I know I've read reports on the saltwaterfish.com forums and I believe reefsanctuary.com ... its just something I've read here and there over the past few months, but never anywhere I do a lot of follow-up reading. I think the general consensus out there is that these units had hairline cracks from shipping and were purchased sight unseen by users. I don't think I could ever buy a tank without opening the box first :b9:

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post

to Aquaria Canada
    Thank you for the list and warm welcome :b16: After posting, I found the website for the ORG but it hasn't been updated since 2004 so I wasn't even sure if it was still in business! I'll be sure to check it out this coming week.