Lighting temp comparisons

Hey again,

One of the purchases I've yet to make for my 120gal (48x24x24) reef is the lighting fixture. I've researched a lot, and plan on using an MH system, but I'm stuck on colour temp. I know its mostly personaly preference, but I've had a rough time trying to find any comparisons online.

Does anybody know of any metal halide colour temp comparison pictures anywhere? Or videos?

Right now I'm thinking 10000K or 14000K with actinics, and setting up a moonlight LED (or two if needed for the 48" length). I was planning on 250W MH bulbs, and keeping any corals with high light requirements high up in the tank, although some people have told me to just go 400W regardless because of the depth of my tank.

Also (sorry I keep thinking of new questions) I've had these 13000K Giesemann Megachrome bulbs recommended to me, but I might need a special ballast for them ... what does this mean? I never got a reply from those who sent the recommendation, but I've read around and they seem popular, tho expensive.

Thanks greatly in advance,

Alex

While I can not point you towards any colour temp comparisons I can tell you that I have 250 W 15000K bulbs over my 110 gallon tank that measures 30inches in depth and have had little problems keeping the corals thriving. That being said I think 400 W is over kill for most any tank unless of course you plan on keeping the lights very high off of the tank or you plan on keeping few corals in the immediate top of the tank (too much light). If you are wondering I do keep a mix of corals (sps, lps, and softies). I just wouldn't put any sps on the bottom, though I must mention that there are several frags that have fallen down there that actually appear to be doing very well.
    That's it for now, keep reef'n

My Tank

liv
    go with 10k's for growth and brightness and supplement w/ lots of actinics T5's or VHO's.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

i think the Geismann will fire on any ballast but may burn better with electronic ballast ( most do, i'll check ), were you looking at SE or DE??

250W bulbs will be fine on a 24" deep tank unless you are looking at keeping light demanding critters down low.

10K is pretty yellow but if you plan to add actinic lighting can be fine, i am currently using 14K bulbs with not actinic and am pretty happy with them.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks for all the info thus far.

I'm now thinking of building a custom hood (I have another few months before I can start my tank and I'm dying to get something done!) with a pair of (SE) Giesemann MegaChrome 250W halides - maybe the 'Marine' with a pair of T5 actinics or straight up 'Coral'.

[ I tried to throw in the URL here for the bulbs but I'm not allowed to use them as of yet - will add them to a second post below - I apologize to moderators but just trying to make the bulb reference easier ]

a4twenty - you said you currently use 14k bulbs with no actinics ... does this mean your tank doesn't have an 'actinic' morning/evening period? Or are any actinics you have scheduled to turn off when the MHs fire up?

Also yes, if you can suggest a ballast to use with these, or any kit at all you've read good reviews on, I'd love the input so I can get an order in this week and get working.

My inventory so far is an empty tank that houses my 9 reef aquarium/sw fishkeeping books

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by apartment42 View Post
    [ I tried to throw in the URL here for the bulbs but I'm not allowed to use them as of yet - will add them to a second post below - I apologize to moderators but just trying to make the bulb reference easier ]
    no need to apologize, this is just to help stop spam, you should be able to post links very shortly ( if not now ).

Quote Originally Posted by apartment42 View Post
    a4twenty - you said you currently use 14k bulbs with no actinics ... does this mean your tank doesn't have an 'actinic' morning/evening period? Or are any actinics you have scheduled to turn off when the MHs fire up?
    that is correct, no morning / evening period, halides during the day and moon lights at night.

as for suggesting ballasts, i will let other chime in. i am using standard ballasst, mostly because they were cheap ( free ), they work fine but others swear that the electronic ones work the best.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

a quick google search turned this up

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73...mparison-1.jpg

i know they are car headlights, but it gives you an idea of the color temperature colors. One thing to keep in mind bulb color can vary, that is, I bought 2 coralife (yuck) 250W MH both rated 10k and one is slightly yellow while one is slightly blue in relation to each other but its almost time for new bulbs at least lol
    120 gal reef-90 gal sump/refuge
    120 gal planted tropical
    120 gal planted catfish/arrowana tank

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    that is correct, no morning / evening period, halides during the day and moon lights at night.
    Thats cool ... I never even considered that. Actually, I've been starting to consider just doing a set of maybe 8 T5s, as this is my first SW tank and I'll have a lot to think (ie, obsess) about, without adding the MH heating and possible need for a chiller to the mix. I'm still undecided tho - I really do like the more direct, realistic lighting of the halides, but maybe I should work my way up bit at a time (and save some $$s along the way).

Quote Originally Posted by Dozerman View Post
    a quick google search turned this up

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73...mparison-1.jpg

i know they are car headlights, but it gives you an idea of the color temperature colors. One thing to keep in mind bulb color can vary, that is, I bought 2 coralife (yuck) 250W MH both rated 10k and one is slightly yellow while one is slightly blue in relation to each other but its almost time for new bulbs at least lol
    Hahaha yah, I saw a similar comparison last time I was at partsource, but I guess I failed at using my imagination to combine it with a tank. I've spent many a night reading people's tank diaries/blogs and whenever people switch over lights, I get a bit of a comparison ... just hoped maybe there was a guide out there somewhere I've yet to track down.

Alas ... I still have time to mull things over. Tomorrow I get another shipment of Reef books arriving at my door from Chapters so that should distract me for a bit :b8:

Alex