Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stray voltage! Help needed!

Ok, I was playing in my new (cycling) 180 and got a tingle from one of my lights a few weeks ago. Figured it was cause I had damp hands and moved on. Tonight I got a tingle from my brand new DT light. Not bad, just enough to know it was not right. So I am all paranoid because of Andrews problems with the k4's, so I break out the voltmeter. I get 30volts in the water! So I unplug the two Koralias, down to about 20, unplug the heater, down a bit more, the skimmer, the return pump. You get the idea, I do not get a reading below 3volts until EVERYTHING is unplugged. WTF? I'm an electrical idiot so I need help bad!

Then I figured I'd check out the little 46 thats been running since last october......38volts! I gave up and that point and settled down for alot of reading, but I'm not having much luck finding an answer!

liv
    ya.. thats kind of normal.. its voltage because of the magnetic fields created.
    The best way to get rid of it is a pure titanium wire with a diode .. hooked to the ground of your house... I did this.. works like a charm!

see my old thread on this..http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...round+titanium

basically, setup a titanium probe, and use gfci outlets

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Liv's right. I Once was doing electrical work on a 3 way switch and I was finding I had 50 and 70 some volts on dead wires... I spoke to an electrician and found out it's normal and just caused by a magnetic field... They really had no voltage. Hook up a titanium ground probe.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

sdfhsrhasda

hmmm I'm of another frame of mind, I don't believe in probes to ground for tanks. your best way is to just unplug 1 thing at a time and test for the same tingling sensation.lots of times its simply salt creep somewere [believe it]
    or a very low voltage leak [K4 ARE BAD FOR THIS] did you do your own wiring?? check to make sure that not a single strand of copper wire is out of your marrettes.

tingling scares me.. I'd be looking for a wiring problem. Its not just magnetic field. You are using GFCI's right?

liv
    i've been through this a few times..
    the fact that every device adds to the voltage prooves its a magnetic issue ( in my case ) .. I had about 10 electrical devices, and my meter gave me ~26v if I remember correctly. removing one device removed 3v, some upto 5v.. some less.. but all gave out some current. also, 4 of these devices were brand new at the time. I only noticed it because I had a cut. not having a cut, i never would have known.

having grounding probes are the smart thing to do as most devices inside our tanks have no ground to begin with and even if they do, they do not expose it the the tank, rendering a gfci useless unless a ground probe is installed.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Maybe in your case it was normal but bare hand tingling is bad and not normal at all. GFCI's do work with devices not having grounds. They trip the fault to ground instead of through your body to ground. If there is a ground on the device or not is irrelevant. That being said arc fault interruptors are a safer bet.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    having grounding probes are the smart thing to do as most devices inside our tanks have no ground to begin with and even if they do, they do not expose it the the tank, rendering a gfci useless unless a ground probe is installed.
    this is one of those topics that people never agree on.

the ground issue isn't a problem, a GFCI works by comparing the current going to and from the electrical device, any difference and the circuit is shut down. if the GFCI is working properly there is no need to have a ground in the tank.

where i see the ground probe saving your life is if an electrical device fails and the GFCI fails, then the current could get to ground. but if the electrical device failed with no ground probe and you stuck your hand in the tank the GFCI should trip before you are hurt.

the only down side i see to running both is the potential to trip the GFCI and shut off your tank. while this would suck while you're away, it's better than you or a family member getting fried one day.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

stray voltage

when you unplugged your powerheads the voltage dropped down abit was it plugged into a powerbar? try switching your powerbar for another one. salt creep can happen inside the bar causing arcing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast