newbie+TL-550???

hi there people....very new here and totally know nothing yet. im trying to get into this hobby and found this TL-550 tank for a very good deal. what would be the extras i need to get and can someone here guide me through the setup process. this will be very hard for me but im hoping that with your help....it will turn out to be a great experience....thanks a lot!

i'll probably pick up my tank tomorrow so pls put out a list of what else to get....

liv
    I have no personal experience with the TL-550, but at first glance, it looks ok. its a glass tank ( more scratch resistent then acrylic ) and comes with just about everything to get started.

I would recommend a refractometer, some salifert test kits, some Instant Ocean salt.

have fun! and post some pics !

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I forget how to do the welcome banner but: welcome to AC.

Looks like about a 30G tank and, as Liv says, seems to have most of the filtration and other basics that you will need. SHould give you a great starting point.

What type of fish/corals do you want to keep? The flow provided (720lph or under 200GPH) is low and should likely be supplemented. The lighting also might not support high light corals.

Other that hardware, you will need live rock, sand (if you want a sand base) and livestock. Make sure that you have read a basic book on reef keeping and understand about things like tank cycling.
    Nick

liv
    I would recommend you check out our book review section.
    tons of books to read and lots of principals & rules to get familiar with.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

BTW, jun_1T, if you are in Ottawa, you might want to try and come to the MASO meeting this afternoon (Sunday, Nov 23): http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...threadid=13624 It would give you a great chance to meet folks and to see a great tank build.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nickb View Post
    I forget how to do the welcome banner but: welcome to AC.

Looks like about a 30G tank and, as Liv says, seems to have most of the filtration and other basics that you will need. SHould give you a great starting point.

What type of fish/corals do you want to keep? The flow provided (720lph or under 200GPH) is low and should likely be supplemented. The lighting also might not support high light corals.

Other that hardware, you will need live rock, sand (if you want a sand base) and livestock. Make sure that you have read a basic book on reef keeping and understand about things like tank cycling.
    thanks guys for all the input. for the specs this setup has what would you guys recommend me getting for corals and fish. pls bear with me guys as i will be asking a lot of questions.....

can you guys post the link on the books you are saying....thanks

For corals, various soft corals ('shrooms, zoas, finger corals). For fish, smaller ones (light doesn't matter much for fish). A pair of clownfish (percula), small wrasse, bangaii cardinal.

The book lists and reviews can be found from the main page of this web site.
    Nick

ok...ive been reading a lot....whew!!! looks like alot of work for me to get started. i ended up not getting the tank mentioned above as i've been doing a lot of browsing and saw a few that caught my eye. i've decided that i will just start off with a nano tank...not more that 30 gals. i need something that will come as a kit with everything with it...well at least the major components. what would you guys recommend??? and also i live in the GTA area....which stores you recommend???

i came accros this 2 tanks....which one you think will be better for a newbie like me? thanks a lot guys

i guess i cant put any links yet....but the tank im talking about is the "JBJ-24" or "JBJ-28". they can be both seen at "petstore.com"

I think you will find that the JBJ tanks are quite similar to the TL-550. Chekc and see if the JBJ tanks have a skimmer and UV sterilizer. If you do a search on this site (or on Reefcentral.com), you should find more info,

I started with a 29G tank (just a regular tank) and added pieces that I needed (I never did have a skimmer on that tank). It was a good learning experience and kept my costs under control until I decided that I wanted to do more. At the time, 'all-in-one' units like the TL-550 weren't on the market.
    Nick

i read the specs of the two tanks....the JBJ-24 dont have a protein skimmer but rather have a surface skimmer. the JBJ-28 on the other hand has a protein skimmer. what is the difference between those two kinds of skimmer??? i could not find anything about the "uv sterilizer"...what is it???

as for the cost....yes i want to keep it down as much as possible. as i dont know yet if this thing is for me. if it is then i'll do upgrades as i go on. for now, i want a good enough setup that doesnt need changing a lot of things.