Chromis Questions

I have had my tank running with nothing more then 2 Chromis, a spotted mandarin, serpent star, and CUC . I added 2 juvenile Percula Clowns and my larger, dominant chromis has started showing signs of aggression towards the smaller chromis. I purchased them together from a guy who had them together for quite some time so it wasn't a new pairing. I also noticed the larger chromis' regular blue colour appeared to change slightly green/yellow.

Could the introduction of the Percs have caused the regularly docile chromis to become a bit aggressive? Is it possible the chromis are mating? If so, anyone know what to look for?

The larger chromis seems to corral the smaller one into the corner and angle his body in a way like he is making it stay in the corner. The behaviour is different then normal so I am a bit concerned. Thanks for any help.

I also wanted to see if it would be bad to add a 3rd chromis or maybe a couple more to the 2 I already have. Would there be any issues with them accepting eachother?

Unless the chromis are scared 24/7 the larger ones will always pick on and kill the smaller ones. I started out with 16... only have the biggest one left. I wont be getting anymore chromis...

I've heard of alot of stories about groups killing eachother but everyone always says they are so peaceful.. obviously they are not!

liv
    same here.. had picked up 11, had 3 left in a few days.. since then 2 left and seems to be ok for months now.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I think I will get a school of cardinals instead of increasing my chromis!

liv
    cardinals are territorial as well.
    I have 3, one couple and one that always tries to get in between them...
    but they may behave differently as a group.

While diving in the ocean once, I found a large long spined urchin that was the host for a good hundred cardinal babies.. was an amazing site to see.
    So when I got home after the trip, I did exactly that.. got a few tiny cardinals.. and sure enough. they went straight for the urchin. they eventually outgrew it.. but was great to see them in action swimming between the spikes.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Chromis will always fight one another for dominance, you should have a more dominant fish in the tank that they would fear, this will force them to school more then fight. I have 3 and they have been growing faily at the same pace, there is always fights but they are kept in check by other fish.
    75G Starphire 24X30x24 Coast to Coast Overflow

Return Pump: T4 Velocity (1255 Gph)
    Water Movement: 2 x Tunze 1045ís on a wave function from my reefkeeper 2
    Lighting: Giesemann Infinity 250w HQI 14k + 4x24w T5 Actinics
    Skimmer: Bubble King 180 Mini
    Calcium: Dual Chamber reactor with dosing pimp and Milwakee PH control

Ozone: Red Sea Aquazone plus 100mg
    Cooling: 1/10hp Pacific Coast Chiller
    Other: ATO, RODI, Phosban

I never had a problem with Chromis being aggressive but I had a yellow tang that would put chase to all tank mates.

I started out with 11 chromis about five or six years ago. The school dwindled to 7 rather quickly but I never noticed any agression in them. I attributed it to survival of the strongest. The weakest ones just died. I kept the 7 intact until last year when the school dindled to 4, again rather quickly, and again I never noticed any agression towards each other. I can't say it is survival of the strongest in this case as the 7 were all quite healthy and strong. The 4 I have now still don't show signs of agression, say like a small school of percs would. I would consider increasing my chromis except for the fact I don't know how the remaining chromis would accept newcomers after so many years.
    180 gallon reef. 230 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with increasing numbers of SPS. Desjardini Tang, Purple Tang, Powder Blue, Heniochus, Ocellaris clowns, chromis and a mandarin. 3- 250 watt 10000K metal halide lights with 2 VHO actinics.