Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Advice on equipment

I just started putting together my reef tank but need advice on getting the rest of the equipment. I don't want to do it wrong and end up spending mre money over and over again as I have heard from a lot of hobbyists.

So far I already have the following:
    180 gallon Miracle glass tank 72"L x 24"W x 24"H w/ center overflow
    Sump - 50 gallon 48"L x 15"W x 20"H
    Closed Loop system with 3 outlets & 1 inlet powered by Dart 3600 GPH Sequence Pump

I am intending to buy the rest in the next 2 or 3 days:
    Sequence Pump to run the sump (1500 GPH?, Eventually will tee off to run a Nano Reef tank about 2 feet away)
    Protein Skimmer (stuck between H & S or Euro Reef)
    Lighting (thinking about Sunlight Supply Tek 5 72" 8 Bulb Unit)
    RO/DI Unit (Purely H20 75 GPD Unit)
    Assorted PVC Fittings
    Calc Reactor Kit (preferably Korallin)

Any suggestions and input on things I might have missed, whether I am doing it properly and where I can buy these items at good prices would be really appreciated.:b6:

to Aquaria Canada

sounds like an awesome start :b6:

Where do you live?

What type of system are you thinking about??? ( reef / FOWLR )

what do you want to keep??
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Sounds like it will be an awesome setup. You might want to reconsider the size of your sump. The plumbing and skimmer will hold X amount of water and if for whatever reason the power goes out you want to make sure that X amount of water plus the amount already in the sump will not overflow. And depending on it width the skimmer might not fit.

ijo
    If your thinking of upgrading your sump... I have a 65 gallon 48" long looking to get rid of... (real cheap)

IJO

What amount of flow (gph) are you thinking of putting through your sump? The reason I ask is 1500gph pump would have your tank turning over about 10x per hour... My opinion, and that of some others, is that you would want to have a lower flow rate to allow the skimmer and reactors to "polish/clean" the water before returning it to the tank... Something in the neighbourhood of 400-600gph maybe?

Sounds like everything you've got is good stuff. Not personally experienced with those skimmers, but I do know that Octopus (Coralvue) skimmers are very good.

Question Equipment Advice

Thanks to all that replied.

a4twenty - I live in the Brampton area and it is going to be a Reef tank.

I had somebody tell me that I should have had more than 1 overflow hole drilled. Overflow is on the center and hole is on the back of the tank.

I picked up the return pump (1500 GPH) and the RO/DI today. I also picked up all the union shut off valves I need but I can't find rest of :b6:the PVC fittings I need from the dealers in the area. I need 2" thread to 1 1/2" slip and 1 1/2" thread to 1" slip and plain 1 1/2" thread to 1 1/2" slip fittings and I am having such a hard time finding them. Any ideas on where I can pick them up? I am willing to drive. I would like to be able to fire up the system this weekend so I can check it for leaks.

I have also had some people with various views on the size of the sump and
    some say it is the right size and some say it should be 70 to 90 gallons. I have measured the sump and the H & S Skimmer I want just fits in there.

check out BWI plumbing he's in Whitby but has very reasonable shipping and great prices.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Sponsor - Ottawa Inverts
    Sequence make fantastic pumps but i dont think thy make any pumps that are 1500gph which btw is way too much flow especiall considering you are planning on running it through one overflow only. IMO if the tank is not set up yet get it drilled while you still can! I use the sequence pumps for all of my larger pumps and love them.
    For everything else though I use ocean runners ranging from the 3500 to 6500 and little giant pumps. If you are looking for an internal pump for a return pump consider a Ocean Runner and something around the 500gph range based on your current equipment.
    Hours:
    Saturdays: 10am - 6pm
    Sundays: 10am - 12pm "Salty Sundays"
    Sundays: 12pm - 6pm

Contact us at:
    613-884-SALT
    613-884-7258

a4twenty - thanks I will drive down to Whitby today.

redbelly - thanks. The tank is already drilled. 6 in total (3 in the back, 1 overflow, 1 return & 1 outlet for the closed loop) & (3 in the bottom, 1 inlet and 2 outlets for the closed loop). They are all using 1 1/2" bulkheads. Did you mean drill another hole for the overflow?

Does anybody know where I can get these H & S Skimmers in Ontario or what their website is?:b6:

a4twenty - thanks I will drive down to Whitby today.

redbelly - thanks. The tank is already drilled. 6 in total (3 in the back, 1 overflow, 1 return & 1 outlet for the closed loop) & (3 in the bottom, 1 inlet and 2 outlets for the closed loop). They are all using 1 1/2" bulkheads. Did you mean drill another hole for the overflow? I bought a 1360 GPH for the return with the intention of feeding the Skimmer too and running a 20 gallon Nano tank about 3 feet away in the future. Is this the right thinking?

Does anybody know where I can get these H & S Skimmers in Ontario or what their website is?:b6:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast