Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

biocube knockoffs?????

just wondering if there are biocube knockoffs(fake) tanks out there? my buddy want to get into this hobby too and he saw a guy off the internet who sells a bnib 29gal biocube with a stand for such a cheap price. the guy was saying that it was given to him as a gift that is why he doesnt have the receipt for it. my buddy just wants to make sure that he is getting a legit tank.

thanks!

not that i know of but............. who knows. just make sure its all there and not damaged.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    ya.. get the brand if you can and compare online first.
    also.. since its a biocube.. it doesn't have much water.. i'd fill it up overthere and check for leaks

if you got the time, take some pics of it and post.
    if the price is too good to be true.. something is wrong or its stolen.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

thanks for the input....my buddy went and checked it out last night. he told me that both boxes are still sealed. and that the guy will not open it up because my buddy was told that if he open it up and fill it with water that it will loose it's "bnib" value. which i think makes sense too....i'll probably let my buddy pick it up and we'll see:b2:

liv
    whats the brand.. and model ? check out online its value first.

Quote Originally Posted by jun_18T View Post
    the guy will not open it up because my buddy was told that if he open it up and fill it with water that it will loose it's "bnib" value.
    if your standing there cash in hand and he wont open the box, i'd be suspicious. anyone with a glue gun / tube of glue / tape gun can reseal a box, reminds me of a scam they used to try and pull years ago. a guy in van would stop you and ask if you want to buy a set of speakers. they looked great, huge, brand new and good name, only problem when you got home and plugged them in there were no actual speakers in the cabinet or they were crappy ones from radio shack.

i'm not saying this is the case here but.................... just be sure :b16:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    ya.. i remember those back of van speaker sales..ahahaha.. man.. dont see those around anymore.. lol

agree.. if he wont open it.. he's hiding something.

post pics of it here.. we will let you know what its worth.. or at least give u a guest timate..

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    agree.. if he wont open it.. he's hiding something.
    I think that's a leap. There is a financial benefit to selling something on e-bay and elsewhere which is brand new and in an unopened box. While you can re-seal a box after you open it, it becomes false advertising to then sell it as 'unopened'. Some people may feel very strongly about this. You can try and check out other sales/customers of the vendor to find out his/her reliability. Or, if you don't agree to the terms, then move on and get a tank from another vendor. And of course, you do need to worry about the old 'if it's too good to be true...' story.

I can't see why anyone would want to try and 'knock-off' biocubes. There's hardly a big market for them and the price isn't really that high. Assuming that the box really is factory-sealed, then the only thing I could see to be worried about would be the possibility that the item was stolen property. If so, opening the box won't help sort that out.
    Nick

What about paying him, then opening it right there in front of him? If there is a problem you can deal with it face to face and there is no doubt about anyone's actions out of site of the other.

At the very least he should be able to open it and visually inspect it. And isn't the biocube acrylic with no seams? I would think if you can't see it cracked anyhwere, it would be fine. I wouldn't buy it from someone who wouldn't let me see it.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast