Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: downsizing

downsizing

hi everyone sadly I have to downsize do to the lack of room in my small house. But before I switch things over I read that you should clean the substrate! If so how and with what type of water?

How much sand are we talking about? How deep is the existing sandbed?

If you have a setup already running with sand/rock and livestock I would just buy new sand for the new tank. You can then take a couple pieces of rock from the old tank and let the new one cycle for a while then move the rest of the contents over.

If you decide to reuse the sand then to rinse it I just put a small amount in a bucket and wash with lots and lots of water while stirring the sand. Just use normal tap water for the rinsing. Just drain it well when done, and ideally let it dry out completely.

Really unless it is a lot of sand it is easier, faster and probably cheaper (vs water) to just buy a couple new bags. Boxing day and boxing day sales will be here soon :b15:
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Really unless it is a lot of sand it is easier, faster and probably cheaper (vs water) to just buy a couple new bags. Boxing day and boxing day sales will be here soon :b15:
    If i buy new sand and use my old rock how long do I have to cycle everything because I have live stock that needs to go in the smaller aquarium. And the other aquarium has to go!

Most of you beneficial bacteria is contained within the rock, with the sandbed only adding a small amount. If you are moving the rock from the old to the new system immediately (so the rock is only exposed for a few minutes) and you are only transfering your existing fish/bioload or less then you could do it almost immediately if you had to.

It would help if you could give us an idea of what you are moving from and what the new tank is.
    Rob
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    It would help if you could give us an idea of what you are moving from and what the new tank is.
    Im only keeping 50lbs of live rock from 75lbs and two false percs everything else I got rid of. If you think it will be ok i'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help

With that much live rock and that small bioload you should be fine. I would probably set the new tank up a day or two in advance with new sand and some of the rock and get everything circulating, to make sure all is well. Then add the rest of the rock and transfer the fish, remember to check the params (PH, salinity,etc) and do a nice slow acclimation.

Once you switch over I would wait a while (a few weeks) before going and adding anything else just to let the new setup stabilize.
    Rob
    -----

liv
    I dont like disturbing sand.. if you have to use the same sand.. I definitely agree with Shipwreck.. rince it many many times in fresh water.. then dry it out completely.. i'd add one more step.. once ready to setup again.. re-rince again in ro/di water and then in the new setup.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

My own recent, personal experience during moving..

Rinsed and stirred and rinsed and stirred and rinsed and stirred for about 10 minutes, then let it leach for a bit all in tap (well, no chlorine) water.
    Rinsed it again after an hour a few more times.. for appx another 15 mins.
    Rinsed with RO/DI water did not dry.
    Put sand in tank, filled tank up about 3" above sand level, stirred the heck out of it, siphoned the water out. Repeated this one more time.

Filled tank.. no spikes.. all livestock was fine.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

and don't forget the most important part, post some pics of the new setup when your ready :b2:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast