Question purchasing "used" sand

Is it a good idea to buy sand that has been removed from a tank and what would I have to do before putting it into my tank? CaribSea Aragamax is this a good sand?

izzy

wash it good and you should have no problems. I've bought used sand and used it. Has it been out of the other persons tank for awhile or is it fresh? Are you putting it in a new tank or an established tank? If established be carefull as you could cause a spike! add very slow. If new tank throw it in and let it cycle.

I agree with Johnny..

if it is live sand from another established tank then you would have to add it slowly.. as you will get some cycle out of it.. If its old sand thats been dry for awhile and you are going to use it and not sure.. then you can bake it.. Bake it at 400 degrees for 20 mins.. it will kill off any bacteria you might have then just rinse it and toss it in.

My tank is established, but I have crushed coral, and thought that sand would be best. The sand has been out of his tank for less than a week. Should I just leave my tank the way it is or take a chance with changing from the CC to the sand?

You will have to add it very slowly as your now covering up your already live sand which in turn will kill the aerobic bact, and replace with anaerobic. Just do small sections at a time and less than 1/4'' deep. This is a very messy process as it causes sand storms[sorta]. Some have used a long piece of PVC pipe and funneled the sand thru the pipe to the bottom of the tank.