Air in Tank from Maxi-Jet

New to the form and to salt water tanks

Got a 55gal for Xmas and all I have in it ďatmĒ is crushed coral getting my LR on Saturday. I used distilled water as my well water is awful. My question is I got a Maxi-Jet power head and I am using the air inlet on it to add bubbles to the tank and my water looks cloudyfrom all the bubbles. I guess my question is will the extra air bubbles give any benefits to the tank as far as adding extra oxygen or braking the water surface tension. or you donít need to use that part on the tank any info will be helpful Thanks in advance.
    Speed

to Aquaria Canada

you don't need to use the air portion of the MJ for saltwater but it may help depending on your system. i wouldn't recommend using CC ( crushed coral ), its large particle size will trap detritus ( waste ) and cause problems down the road. dust from the CC may also be what is clouding your water.

why don't you tell us a bit more about your tank and all the equipment ( skimmer? / sump? / test kits / heaters / pumps / etc.... ) you have and we can help to point you in the right direction.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks for the reply

Well it is a basic Kit from Tetra was a nice Xmas gift I had tropical fish about 15 years ago and enjoyed them. It has EX70 Filter, stock heater and the power head I mentioned that was a gift from my nephew he has the same Tank kit for about a year now and it looks good he also has crushed coral for the substrate. I would like to add a skimmer down the road I am going on Saturday to get my Fiji Live rock I have had the tank running for about 3 weeks now no fish LOL well Air fish I call them People just look at me like what LOL anyhow any help would be welcomed want to start off on the proper note and try and avoid all the BS down the road.

Thanks
    Speed

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post

to Aquaria Canada

you don't need to use the air portion of the MJ for saltwater but it may help depending on your system. i wouldn't recommend using CC ( crushed coral ), its large particle size will trap detritus ( waste ) and cause problems down the road. dust from the CC may also be what is clouding your water.

why don't you tell us a bit more about your tank and all the equipment ( skimmer? / sump? / test kits / heaters / pumps / etc.... ) you have and we can help to point you in the right direction.

Welcome.

The best piece of advice to starting a SW setup that I can give you is -- BE PATIENT! Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. When you get your liverock into the tank be prepared to keep breeding those air fish for a couple of months. During this period your tank will cycle, and begin to establish the bacteria and bugs until it becomes balanced. You will go through several stages of algae as well during this time. This is a great time to do lots of reading and asking questions.

As for the skimmer I would highly recommend one before you get too far into the setup. But again do lots of reading on them before buying or you may regret the purchase.

Are you planning on adding a sump to your system?

Good luck.

PS Make sure to post some pics of your setup as you progress.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

This is what I do Read and read but I confuse myself some times as I read too much LOL.
    I have looked at other setups with sumps etc but my tank is tempered so drilling is not an option and the skimmer is something on my immediate radar. My plan is to get this tank going and then next year gets a larger tank 100+ and move the stuff over to that and add more LR and use the old 55 as a sump. Just a thought donít even have the dam thing working yet and I am thinking upgrade LOL. Patience I have lots of it like I say 3 weeks now looking at the water in the tank O and one shell that my brother got me for Xmas as a joke LOL
    speed

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    Welcome.

The best piece of advice to starting a SW setup that I can give you is -- BE PATIENT! Nothing good in this hobby happens fast. When you get your liverock into the tank be prepared to keep breeding those air fish for a couple of months. During this period your tank will cycle, and begin to establish the bacteria and bugs until it becomes balanced. You will go through several stages of algae as well during this time. This is a great time to do lots of reading and asking questions.

As for the skimmer I would highly recommend one before you get too far into the setup. But again do lots of reading on them before buying or you may regret the purchase.

Are you planning on adding a sump to your system?

Good luck.

PS Make sure to post some pics of your setup as you progress.

Hey Speed! Welcome

If you do not want to drill your tank, you can get an overflow to move water to the sump although drilling is the recommended method in order to reduce the risk of floods.
    Is the whole tank tempered or just the bottom? Do you know the model of the tank you have? The manufacturer should have specs on whether or not the whole tank is tempered.

Cheers!
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Looks like the whole tank is tempered so can anyone recommend a skimmer for a 55gal tank??? some pics LOL
    Also what do you recommend indo rock or Fiji?

Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    Hey Speed! Welcome

If you do not want to drill your tank, you can get an overflow to move water to the sump although drilling is the recommended method in order to reduce the risk of floods.
    Is the whole tank tempered or just the bottom? Do you know the model of the tank you have? The manufacturer should have specs on whether or not the whole tank is tempered.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air in Tank from Maxi-Jet-pic1.jpg   Air in Tank from Maxi-Jet-pic2.jpg  

We bought everything way to fast in the beginning and spent A LOT of $ on things we later regretted buying....
    We bought a 20$ skimmer!!! LOL All we had was water on our floor and a lot of headaches (side note* Most LFS dont like to return equipment*)

As for the crushed coral... We like the "look" so we put down about 2" of live sand and then some CC on top to get the "look" We also have alot of critters now that do a really great cleaning job !

Long Story short... shop arround ask questions and don't go out and impulse shop or you will be broke in no time ! Ha ha ha ha ha ha

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by speed View Post
    Looks like the whole tank is tempered so can anyone recommend a skimmer for a 55gal tank??? some pics LOL
    Also what do you recommend indo rock or Fiji?
    Speed
    I hear Euro-Reef are pretty good
    I personally like the look of the Fiji and Vanuatu or for something a little more porous, Bali..

I noticed you have your tank set up in front of the window. Do you plan on leaving it at that location? If so, the direct light will probably cause you algae and overheating problems, you may want to mitigate those risks.
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated!

Yes the tank is setup in front of a window but we only get a little sun and I was planning to keep the blinds closed during the day. that window is facing north and there is a big covered porch so I donít think that will be a problem but I will be keeping an eye on that thanks for the tip. I got my rock yesterday now it is starting to look like something my wife and brother say that 2 of the pieces look like skulls LOL

Quote Originally Posted by YukonChick View Post
    I hear Euro-Reef are pretty good
    I personally like the look of the Fiji and Vanuatu or for something a little more porous, Bali..

I noticed you have your tank set up in front of the window. Do you plan on leaving it at that location? If so, the direct light will probably cause you algae and overheating problems, you may want to mitigate those risks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Air in Tank from Maxi-Jet-tank3.jpg