salt creep & algae

Ok guys,I need some thoughts here.
    Last week I got my DIY canopy on my tank with a 36" white actinic and a 36" super actinic VHO bulbs.I've noticed salt all around the bottom of the tank on top of the stand..no signs of water drips on the outside of the tank.
    Also,I've noticed a faster growth rate of unsightly redish brown algae on the inside of the glass.The tank is 6 months new.
    65 gallon,40lbs cc,80lbs LR,a seaclone 100 (insert laughter here)
    An arrow crab,coral banded shrimp,3 peppermint shrimp,pink tip aneome,few damsels,yellow tang,and of course nemo lol
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

This may be a cyle but if your tank has been running this long I have my doubts. Check to make sure it's algae and not cyano. Cyano is a bacteria that is redish (dark) and will grow to be like long stringy hiar. I find that with cyano or even brown algae blooms, the first thing to do is increase water movement. Maybe add a powerhead (300 GPH or so). Then check water quality. This is the most common cause. Make sure you are using Reverse Osmosis or distilled water for all top ups. With tap water you may be just feeding the cyano or algae with phospates and stuff.

Should this be cyano....and you have fixed the source (ie: poor water conditions and water movement) then use a product called SLIMEAWAY and it will get rid of it. Don't use this product until you have fixed the CAUSE of the condition or it will just return. If it's algae, cut back on light for a bit, use R/O water for top ups, cut down feeding of fish, and get lots of critters to eat it up. I like all types of snails, brittle stars (2), emerald crabs (2), peppermient shrimp, cleaner shrimp.

Hope this helps...there are many causes and fixes for algae and cyano (they are not the same thing) but this should get you started.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks Mouse,
    I have been meaning to buy another powerhead or even two but with x-mas around the corner..you know $$$$
    as far as the lights...have to admit I have been a little light happy ever since Ive gone from NO to VHO ..probably 14hrs/day.
    I dont have an RO unit,would buying bottled Culigan water be fine?

have you allways been using the VHO bulbs? Or did you upgrade your lighting when you built the canopy?

As increase lighting.. exspecially going from somthing like NO to VHO can cause it..

I went from a single 30w NO to what I have now...what a difference...love my VHO's.
    Seen you were going to make a taller canopy as well...looking at my setup from top to bottom it looks like a piece of art!

LOL,

Well thats why you have the Breakout you do have.. Take some time for your tank to adjust!

What would you suggest? less hours with the lights on? or just let it run its course i.e cycle of some sort?

Try slowly acclimatising the tank to the new lighting, and use a phosphate sponge, I had the same problem when I added a NO to the lighting and the algae was blooming, regular water changes, and the phosphate sponge or pad helped, and siphoning out the algae.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

AHHHHH.....

The light change (good one) is why the algae is blooming. It'll cycle away in short time. Reduce your light to 6-8 hours and increase it an hour each week. That will help. I would seriously consider an R/O unit...try the one IJO sells...I have one and it works great....can't beat the price either.

I'm not sure about the culligan water...I've never used it. You'll have to test it for phospates etc and see. Maybe someone at culligan can give you an chemical analysis of the water....

Good Luck

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!