Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cooling suggestions please

We're in for a hot summer this year, all this week the temp will hit 92deg to 103deg, the nights at 64deg to 80deg..(note the Fahrenheit convertions..I downloaded a program to do it for me:imwithstu)
    The tank can get up to 87-88deg, after a day or two.
    I can't afford a chiller, and don't have air-conditioning. (renting while studying and have pool and beach, Phew!!)
    I usually have 3 fans on the tank, to try cool it, and move the heater away from the fans to prevent an incorrect reading and subsequent overheating...though I'm concerned the fans will affect the Ph, and add ice-blocks, but they don't really do much.
    I've considered fiddling with the heater, ie: adjust to a lower setting, but don't want to cause too much temp changes and haven't figured out what to alter it to on the heatwave weeks..as the weather can top 103-104 for 2-3 days (or week/s) then drop to 77 for a couple days/week, so there's a lot of fluctuations.
    If any one has any ideas, even home made ones that'd be great..
    Or should I stay with what I'm doing, and how can I make it more efficient??
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

With that kind of fluctuation, I think you're going to have to invest in a chiller. I have had my tank int he summer go from 84 degrees and then down to 78 degrees with no problems but the ranges you are describing will be hard on your livestock. I can't think of any other way to maintain your water temp.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Pick up a used de-humidifier run a 1/4 airline with a small water pump.($10 water fountain pump) Coil the tubing around the back of the de-humidifier. It will help chill the water as well as remove any humidity you have in the house. Keep your heater set to the temp you want to maintain. Its not AC but it will make the house seem cooler.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Ideally, invest in an Air Conditioner in that room. Your fish, and family will thank you.

Playing with the heater won't do any good. The heater only comes on when the water drops below the setting. If it's warmer, the heater won't come on.

This last summer, on those real hot days, I had to resort to using one of those re-circulating house fans pointed directly at the sump. This will help A LOT. The warmest my tank got was 84ish.

So in conclusion, if you can't afford the AC, then just point Fans to the water. Evaporation will get rid of heat. So keep in mind that your evaporation rate will significantly increase. If you have an Auto top-off unit this won't be a problem. However if you top-off your tank by hand, be prepared with more water on hand.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks,
    After reading the posts this morning I looked into evaporative AC, they're only around $250, a drawback is their effectiveness is limited in high humidity, we're not known for high humidity here but it does happen.
    I can't afford a chiller, I've just paid my Uni fees and still have to get the books, and xmas prezzies, etc...and I don't want to spend $$$'s on somebody else's Apartment (I don't have a family to worry about at the moment) The evaporative is very low on running costs, 2c an hour!!and will cool me as well. If anyone has one or knows about them I'd appreciate the feedback.
    I used the pedestal fan today pointed at the tank water and it kept the temp at 77, I noticed that the PH had risen to 8.6ppm, I assume this is from the fans..tang_man_montreal
    did you have any adverse affects on the PH when you used the fans???? and what did you do to correct them??
    I think I'll try and use all the ideas together until I get the evap and hope it works...
    Thanks again
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

Tiff

not sure why a fan pointed at your tank/sump would affect ph but at those temps that you'll be experiencing no amount of evaporation will help anyways and you'll be frustrated just trying to topoff. You'll either have to beg borrow or steal a chiller. This is a good investment anyways as unless you buy a home shortly with CENTRAL AIR your probaly going to need it.
    A friend of mine showed me that you could look for an old drinking water cooler and just rig it up that your pumping water thru a hose, coiled in the cooler compartment and back to the tank. Sort of a closed loop. It will work but won't be so pretty.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Using an old water cooler is the same principle of using a small dorm fridge. The compressor ends up running all the time trying to keep up, and either burns out or ends up being very expensive and inefficient to operate.
    I've also read that it's useless on tanks larger than 30 gallons.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

vince

makes complete sence on the compressor burning out.I was just thinking as an emergency for Tiff . It would also be a pain to rig up I might add. I would preferr the chiller myself.

first of all, if it is to hot there - unplug the heater, you dont need it. and even if you tank does get a little cooler, u dont want to heat it up and then let the room heat it up some more. if it gets cool at night or whatever, it will help slow its heating in the day.
    next, i used fans (those clip on desk fans are fine, just clip it to your tank and have it blow on the surface). as far as extra top-off, thats great, b/c you can top off with cold water (from a water cooler, or from a fridge). This should be enough to keep you tank cool during heat waves (of course you close the blinds and open the windows to keep the room from cooking).
    Albert
    My Photos

not sure why a fan pointed at your tank/sump would affect ph
    By increasing the water surface tension you allow more air into the tank, if the indoor air is high in oxygen then the PH will rise if the indoor air is high in carbon dioxide then the PH will drop. Many people use this method to correct (band-aide) a PH problem.
    This then leads me to the curious thought of adding too much oxygen, if it's possible to saturate a tank..
    unless you buy a home shortly
    Planning on that..
    if it gets cool at night or whatever, it will help slow its heating in the day.
    No the temp stays around 65 to 77deg depending, tonight Will be...70....Makes for beautiful morning walks on the beach, like this morning, it was 77 at 6.30am!!
    i used fans (those clip on desk fans are fine, just clip it to your tank and have it blow on the surface). as far as extra top-off, thats great, b/c you can top off with cold water (from a water cooler, or from a fridge). This should be enough to keep you tank cool during heat waves
    Just what I had in mind. Though the air is HOT and it's windy this year, so it's best to keep the windows closed as well as the blinds....
    I decided today to buy a portable evaporative AC with air purifier and filter, be around $350, I've been checking my hydrometer and the humidity indoors is at 50 or under so it should work, they lower the temp up to 12deg celcius,...... better than $1500 and up on chiller as we all stay cool, and I'm not spending $$$ when I have Uni fees and high medical bills (the other reason I can't afford a chiller, but I guess I needed to tell you so you understand, etc) or spending money improving someone Else's property!!!!
    Thanks so much for everyones input, you've been fantastic.
    :thanx:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast