Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Rock

Live Rock

Hi All

I went Last weekend and got my LR 60lb of Fiji the person at the store says it was in there tank for a month or so. My question is it was only out of the water for about 1 hour travel time home and was still wet when I put it in the tank. I checked my ammonia for the heck of it the next day and it was at .50 and on Tuesday I checked again and it was 0 my question is will it spike higher then that or is that it as it was fully cured rock. The LR looks awesome some growth on it etc… and the water dose not stink, but I have never been to the ocean so I don’t know what that smells like but it dose not smell like an old gym bag LOL. any thought would be welcomed Thanks for looking

it's possible that will be the only spike you see, depending on water volume and as you said limited exposure to the air.

did you test for nitrites ( NO2 ) and nitrates ( NO3 ) ?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by speed View Post
    Hi All

I went Last weekend and got my LR 60lb of Fiji the person at the store says it was in there tank for a month or so. My question is it was only out of the water for about 1 hour travel time home and was still wet when I put it in the tank. I checked my ammonia for the heck of it the next day and it was at .50 and on Tuesday I checked again and it was 0 my question is will it spike higher then that or is that it as it was fully cured rock. The LR looks awesome some growth on it etc… and the water dose not stink, but I have never been to the ocean so I don’t know what that smells like but it dose not smell like an old gym bag LOL. any thought would be welcomed Thanks for looking
    I'd probably give it afew more days or a week. Just incase any other die off takes place. Also check for nitrites and nitrates.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Hello All

Ok my test result today

Ammonia 0
    PH 7.8
    Nittrite 0
    Nitrate 10

this is after the rock in the tank for a week
    Thanks all..

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    it's possible that will be the only spike you see, depending on water volume and as you said limited exposure to the air.

did you test for nitrites ( NO2 ) and nitrates ( NO3 ) ?

why don't you tell us a little more about your setup??

you may want to feed the tank either with some fish food or a cocktail shrimp to help the cycle along but more info will help us point you in the right direction.
    `

My Gallery

what type of info would I provide sorry I am new to all of this

why don't you tell us a little more about your setup??

you may want to feed the tank either with some fish food or a cocktail shrimp to help the cycle along but more info will help us point you in the right direction.

stuff like tank size, water volume, skimmer, sump, refugium and any other equipment. just to give us a better idea of your system, posting a pic or two would be good too.
    `

My Gallery

Ok here we go

55gal tank so about 42gal of water with Tetra whisper EX70 filter 60lb of live rock max-Jet power head that’s about it LOL I want to upgrade to a skimmer and ditch the filter just don’t know what to get like I say this is all new to me any advice would be helpful

stuff like tank size, water volume, skimmer, sump, refugium and any other equipment. just to give us a better idea of your system, posting a pic or two would be good too.

first thing, ask as many questions as you can, we are here to help. and if you haven't heard this one yet, you will repeatedly " only bad things happen fast in this hobby ", so take your time and research :b16:

you can get a cocktail shrimp or use some fish food and feed the tank, watch over the next couple days for and NH3 ( ammonia ) and NO2 ( nitrite ) spike. don't go crazy, just a little bit to get the bacteria working, either of these foods will end up as NO3 ( nitrates ) and possibly PO4 ( phosphates ) so be cautious.

a couple more questions.......

what test kits do you have?

what lighting do have or plan on???

what do you want to keep?

be patient, there are important things going on in your tank even though it looks pretty boring and empty right now. now is the time to look ahead and decide what direction you want to see this tank take. then we can help offer advice on what equipment will best suit your needs.

HTH
    `

My Gallery

Thanks for the reply

I will be asking lots of questions so don’t get upset with me lol

The test kit I have is the API saltwater master test kit it will test high ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate also a hydrometer I have just the stock lighting one is the standard florescent and I bought 1 actinic light I only want to keep it live rock and fish in this tank if I move to a bigger tank I will move to coral any other suggestions would be helpful Thanks
    I would like to keep some clown fish and a Tang and some shrimp nothing to exotic

first thing, ask as many questions as you can, we are here to help. and if you haven't heard this one yet, you will repeatedly " only bad things happen fast in this hobby ", so take your time and research :b16:

you can get a cocktail shrimp or use some fish food and feed the tank, watch over the next couple days for and NH3 ( ammonia ) and NO2 ( nitrite ) spike. don't go crazy, just a little bit to get the bacteria working, either of these foods will end up as NO3 ( nitrates ) and possibly PO4 ( phosphates ) so be cautious.

a couple more questions.......

what test kits do you have?

what lighting do have or plan on???

what do you want to keep?

be patient, there are important things going on in your tank even though it looks pretty boring and empty right now. now is the time to look ahead and decide what direction you want to see this tank take. then we can help offer advice on what equipment will best suit your needs.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast