Thread: Lighting

Lighting

My tank is 48 long X 18 High X 24 deep, now I was thinking with going with 2-150 MH bulbs, and 4-T5 bulbs would that be enough to get right to the bottom? Im going to have sps, some lps, and a few fish. Is there an advantage to go with a dual ballast for the MH or should I use singles? also is there any reason to use dual ended MH, over the screw in ones?

PAZE

liv
    dual ballasts are fine.
    as for DE vs SE, more a personal pref.
    DE's need a glass barrier from the water ( in the form usually of a reflector with a glass sheet on it to remove most of the UV's )
    SE's have an intergrated layer that does just that.
    go with the reflector you choose or design/look you wish to accomplish.

tons of people do great with just a ton of t5's... adding mh's is a bonus.
    so I say those 150's are great.. and try and cram as many t5's as possible.
    run your t5's all actinics with a good bulb like a giesemann and run 10ks for your mh's

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

DE Mh's came after the SE's to make SE's old fashioned. You get better par value with DE's. I personally want a reflector over my mh's no matter what. I would never want a bulb exploding into pieces above my tank from a splash... As far as dual ballasts, I'd make sure you can independently turn on the lights.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

ijo
    Another good thing about double ended lamps is they take up less space... the reflectors are a lot smaller. Its been a while since I've purchase MH lamps but I'm pretty sure DE lamps are also more expensive.

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    I personally want a reflector over my mh's no matter what.
    I meant protective glass cover.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by PAZE View Post
    My tank is 48 long X 18 High X 24 deep, now I was thinking with going with 2-150 MH bulbs, and 4-T5 bulbs would that be enough to get right to the bottom?
    I have the same depth and went with 175 watt. I had all kinds of sps that grew great. 250's will be fine.

Im going to have sps, some lps, and a few fish. Is there an advantage to go with a dual ballast for the MH or should I use singles?
    Even the dual ballasts come with individual switches so it would probably be cheaper to go with the dual.

also is there any reason to use dual ended MH, over the screw in ones?

PAZE
    All I know about the DE is the cost. In fact the cost of MH is the big reason I switched to T5. Not just the purchase but replacing the new lamps more often and the extra Hydro to run them. I am not sure why but I have the same wattage of T5 with the same photo period and pay significantly less hydro.

I still have lots of sps and I can vary the bulb colour I made a DIY hood which cost me close to $200 all told (individually relected). Just my 2 cents though.

:dft009:
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Im going to try to get as many T 5's as I can under my canopy, I think Im going with 8-54w-T5's, well 7 atanic, and one will be a moon light or night light, will I just hope I can get same effect or the look as 2-250w MH

PAZE

liv
    the metal halides add that schimmer effect... and generally brighter because they have that spot light pattern.
    as for corals.. i'm sure they will enjoy your 8x t5's

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by PAZE View Post
    ...... well 7 atanic, and one will be a moon light or night light, will I just hope I can get same effect or the look as 2-250w MH
    i wouldn't run all actinic, a combination of of spectrums ( a couple 10K, 14K and 4 actinics, or something like that ) will give the best results. also i wouldn't use one as a moonlight, it will be to bright, i use 4 LEDs and that's plenty ( similar footprint 4' x 2' ).

as liv posted, it wont be the same as MHs but it will give you excellent light, just different ( not a pinpoint light source ).

the key to success with T5s are the reflectors. a high quality product can increase light output by up to 300%. also overdriving the bulbs with a icecap ballasts will greatly increase output at the expense of bulb life. your tank is only 18" deep so you should be able to get away with just good reflectors.

HTH
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    ...as liv posted, it wont be the same as MHs but it will give you excellent light, just different ( not a pinpoint light source ).
    thats true another thing I did not like about the MH was the way the corals grew towards it after over a year for growth the digi was out of the water but only near the MH and cutting off the light from all the others.

the coral grew to the light source.

the key to success with T5s are the reflectors. a high quality product can increase light output by up to 300%. also overdriving the bulbs with a icecap ballasts will greatly increase output at the expense of bulb life. your tank is only 18" deep so you should be able to get away with just good reflectors.

HTH
    My tank is 24 " deep and I can't keep the most delicate sps but the montis are fine (caps and digis) and a pocillapora - all thriving not just surviving.

I do however miss the shimmer of MH. I like the other benefits better but that's my opinion

Jer
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.