Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New set up

New set up

Well this is what I got so far lots of work and beat up nuckles but worth is, The tank is a wide 90 gallon 48 long x 18 tall by 24 deep. My stand is built out of 2x4's and covered in pine still have to stain or paint it, was thinking of going white, with all corals and lights she should glow, I built it hight I hate to have to bend over to see inside, only down fall is trying to reach the bottom. I built this baby coast to coast, (thanks a4twenty for the idea) was really simple to build cost $17 in glass, going to have to add egg crate to the top so my fish dont get free rides to the sump.

flip open

side view

Sump

Heres the sump, I couldnt find what I wanted so I built it myself, 36 long x 18 tall x 18 deep, Its a perfect size for this stand, still leaves me room for the external pump. I still have to add two more baffels to the return side, its still drying. This sup is set it from the tank, Skimmer, refug, return, Im going to add a bubble trap in the return aswell.

coast to coast

Forgot to add this.

wow, you've been busy :b15:

have you picked a skimmer yet??

you have to makes sure the skimmer footprint will fit in there. also you may need to allow for some air behind the overflow to prevent excessive noise and you still have time to add another bulkhead ( for piece of mind ).

looking good, great job on the stand, canopy and glass work.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Very nice looking setup. Good job on the woodworking.

For that flip up top I notice the egg crate holding it open. If you have a boating store around they should carry a stainless steel hing meant for up swinging doors like these, and if you can find the right one they have a built in lock to keep it open as well.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    Nice looking stand !!
    coast to coast is the way to go !!!

if you can, get a skimmer that will accept a direct feed from your overflow instead of pumping it from the sump ( this way you catch even more )
    you do not need all of it.. but some of it.. so you can T it off.. some to skimmer, some to sump.. if not, then setup your skimmer where your overflow water will come into the sump. use flex pvc if you can, it will reduce some of the noise. Use pink teflon ( not white ) on all the threaded joints.. the pink teflon is much thicker and seals much better. it can be found at rona or homedepot... a bit more expensive but soooooo worth it.

What did you decide for the in tank circulation ?
    and a ton of T5's for lighting ?

before starting the aquarium, id definitely paint the inside of your canopy with something that will seal it real good.. possibly an epoxy paint, ( to try and resist the salt creep and splashes as well as the heat and humidity ) White for the inside will also have the added benefit and reflecting some of the lost light not bounced by the reflector. as for outside, I guess all depends on what you got around your tank... but natural pine is nice you could stain it, or just varnish it.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Thanks guys for all the comments, as for the hinge, I not sure what Im going with, I know Home depot sells different type of holders, Im going to have to look into it. For the lighting Im still undecided, I want the MH but hate the fact that they throw so much heat, and burn a ton of power, Im leaning more towards 8-T5's, as for now I wont need lighting, Im going to cysle the tank without lights so I have time, It will still be a while till I get it all up and running, I still need a skimmer but will be picking one up soon, I have the whole unit sealed on the inside and out, I'll be painting it white, I'll keep you guys posted as it progresses.

PAZE

Looking good.

As already mentioned, might want to plan for a redundant overflow. I speak from experience.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

liv
    absolutely, 2 holes
    you wont regret it!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Very nice looking setup. Real good job on the woodworking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast